Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Coyote Rifle

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

I think the .243 is the way to go, it is chambered in most rifles now and has a wide selection of factory loads for varmints and antelope/deer. As far as the rifle, if you buy a quality rifle you do not necessarily need a heavy barreled varmint gun to reach out to 400 yards. The heavy barrel really comes into play for prairie dog hunting where you are shooting a lot (hopefully) and it will help dissipate heat and such. I coyote hunt with my .308 deer rifles generally. I just load them up with 150 grain ballistic tips.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

To dispell any fears, I know the drawbacks and benefits of a heavy barreled rifle, and I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Yeah, it's heavy, but there's no arguing that I shoot better at long ranges with the heavy barrels, whether the RIFLE itself is more accurate or not, I'm (the shooter) more accurate with a heavier rifle.

I like the Tikka's, but they're few and far between around here.

I'm still on the fence about getting a heavier caliber to pull double duty, or just buying two rifles. A heavy .308 would do coyotes plus anything else I want, but why not buy a .223 AND a .308? haha
Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
To dispell any fears, I know the drawbacks and benefits of a heavy barreled rifle, and I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Yeah, it's heavy, but there's no arguing that I shoot better at long ranges with the heavy barrels, whether the RIFLE itself is more accurate or not, I'm (the shooter) more accurate with a heavier rifle.

I'm still on the fence about getting a heavier caliber to pull double duty, or just buying two rifles. A heavy .308 would do coyotes plus anything else I want, but why not buy a .223 AND a .308? haha
So you have no interest in preserving the pelt? Obviously, with a .308 you're going to do major pelt damage such that I doubt you would ever recieve the higher prices for your pelts, most will be trash.

Grouse
Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

split the difference and get a 243
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree with the 243 or 25-06. Personally I'd be looking anywhere other than Remington, too many quality issues as of late. The Ruger's now come with the LC6 trigger, very nice, not a 2 1/2 lb trigger but much improved from the previous lawyer triggers.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used .308 in the past for coyotes pretty extensively. Using a 150grn moderate expansion bullet, i.e. typical deer hunting bullets, I haven't ever had what I'd call "excessive pelt damage", nor have I ever had any problem getting premiums for my hides. I've had much less pelt damage with a moderate expansion .308 deer bullet than with a high expansion .243 varmint bullet.