Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 512 Slug Recommendations

Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Spike

Default Marlin 512 Slug Recommendations

Ok, I know some of you have a Marlin 512 slug gun. What slug do you like out of yours? I gonna try some sabots but I'm hoping to narrow it down a bit. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bump.

Oh, my message is too short. How about, "I'd like to know too!"
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one back in the day. Wish I still had it. Moved to a state where I could shoot a rifle all I pleased... never considered that I might move back to shotgunville someday.

At any rate.... I shot solid copper Barnes Expanders out of mine... it liked them well. I also shot some solid copper remingtons... I killed a couple deer with both.

Make sure you shoot sabots or foster style slugs out of it... rifled slugs go down smooth bores! Rifled barrels need sabots!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine likes slugs in the 1300-1600 fps range. Right now I'm using Brenneke 2.75" KO Sabots. They shoot into one big hole at 50 yds. I've also had good results with Winchester BRI style sabots, both 2.75" and 3". I've shot deer with both of these and they work great. Gotta love the 512, even if it does carry like a 2x4.

I tried Hornady H2K, and they were all over the place.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Spike

I bought some Lightfield Hybrids Exp. Anyone try these?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BucknCluck
I bought some Lightfield Hybrids Exp. Anyone try these?
I've shot 10 rounds of those thru the 512. I'd get a couple within 4 or 5 inches at 100 yards and then a flyer way off the map. And I know that I didn't jerk.

Yesterday I tried the new Remington Premier Tip sabots and they were the bees knees. 1.5" group at 100 yards.

FINALLY. I would have tried them before but could never find them.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a tip. If you find a sabot your gun likes, buy a bunch. I'm talking a few years worth if you can. Sabots have nearly doubled in price over the last 2 years, and for some reason, I can't find the exact ones I want when I need them. Some money up front, but savings long-term.

Brenneke 2.75" KO Sabots are working well for me right now.