Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage models explained ?. . .

Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

Default Savage models explained ?. . .

In simple terms, what is the differences in the Savage centerfire models like the 111, 12 10, 16, etc?
All have the same action?
The only thing I can figure is they have the same trigger (or close to it).
I know some are packages, varmint, predator, hunter, etc. Get that off their site.
But no real explaination of the details of features.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Spike

Thank you. I've been wondering the same thing.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are two actions, a long action which is designated with 3 numbers like 110 or 116, and a short action which is designated by two numbers like 10 or 16. Everything else is cosmetic like different stocks, heavy barrels, stainless steel, blued steel, etc...

excepting their model 40 and model 25.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

To expand on what Bigbulls stated, anything with a 16 or 116 is is stainless steel with a synthetic stock. Check out Savage Shooters dot com....seems like they have a good explanation of what all the letters mean.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

Really? Makes sense from a manufacturers standpoint.

Thanks so much. I saw a deal at Wally World today. $397.00 for a 110 FXP in .308.
Very tempting.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

A .308 would be a model 10 and not a 110. Short actions have two numbers and long actions have three numbers.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Spike

From looking at the website, I still can't figure out the difference between the actual models within a certain family of models. For instance there are 5 different short action RH Weather Warrior models. The stocks, barrels, specs and prices look the same/similar on most all of them. What's the difference? Is it something small like checkering that I can't tell from the pics?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr Wasabi
From looking at the website, I still can't figure out the difference between the actual models within a certain family of models. For instance there are 5 different short action RH Weather Warrior models. The stocks, barrels, specs and prices look the same/similar on most all of them. What's the difference? Is it something small like checkering that I can't tell from the pics?

OK, I'll try here here are the short action Weather Warrior models:

Model 16FHSS – accutrigger/accustock and Hinged Floorplate

Model 16FSS - blind magazine/accutrigger

Model 16FCSS – accutrigger/accustock, and Detachable Box magazine

Model 16FLSS- Left hand
Model 16FHSAK – accutrigger/accustock,Hinged Floorplate, with muzzlebrake

I can also tell you that if there is a "Y" in the letters it designates a youth model and a "P" designates a package deal with scope.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

It is a long action. Savage offers both short and long in a variety of models.
Yet another anomolly!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not a Savage person but they do have the most confusing model designations on the market. You never know if you're talking about the right gun. My son has a Savage with synthetic stock and accu-trigger and I would be willing to bet that neither of us can tell you the correct model. It's like trying to buy something for your truck by it's part number instead going to a parts department and just asking for brake pads for a F150.