Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W .40 guys... What ammo do you like?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default S&W .40 guys... What ammo do you like?

I just picked up a Springfield XDM40 and now I need some ammo for it. Right now I'm planning on getting Hornaday XTP's for my "good" ammo and using UMC's for my target stuff.

What do you guys like/dislike and why? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Glock 23, for target practice or to re-qualify I buy my ammo in bulk from Cabelas, I never had a problem. For on duty/off duty I like either the WINCHESTER RANGER (same as the black talon) or the WINCHESTER STX
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
I love my Glock 23, for target practice or to re-qualify I buy my ammo in bulk from Cabelas, I never had a problem. For on duty/off duty I like either the WINCHESTER RANGER (same as the black talon) or the WINCHESTER STX
In my Glock 27, I use the Winchester Rangers for my off duty/back up gun. I have used Federal, Speer Gold Dot and DoubleTap. The DoubleTap is very good stuff. My Glock seems to like anything I put in the magazine. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

hydrashocks fill my mags....gold dots, ranger, etc are all fine choices...shot placement is more important than bullet IMO...especially out of a pistol..put the shots on target and dont stop till the threat is eliminated....the hard part is putting shots where they need to be in a hasty situation..usually the shooter and target are both moving and its quick...watch the front sight and make em count...

at the range, its whatever i can find cheap...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always carried TAP in my G23, I need more if I can ever find someone with a good selection of ammo in stock.

For general shooting, I buy whatever I can get cheap (which is a relative term anymore, the days of getting Winchester white box for $9.99 are long gone). A tad less accurate than TAP but a fraction the price and everything that is not premium shoots about the same.

Honestly, I haven't bought anything but self defense ammo in years. I handload everything but .22, it's the only way to stomach the cost of shooting any decent amount. I load whatever jacketed bullet I can get cheapest when I'm buying, to a very moderate powder charge of Blue Dot (because I had a lb on hand and it lasts forever in pistols).

Nice choice on the pistol. I love my G23 but the Springfield would be the other gun on top of my list.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a fan of Federal Hydra-Shoks if two-legged critters are the intended target. Every semi-auto I've ever owned has always eaten them without problem. For target practice I shoot whatever is cheapest, which is usually the Winchester White Box ball ammo. The stuff is dirty, but my XD (not the XD-M version) will eat them all day without complaint... but then again, my XD has never had a stoppage or FTF with any ammo I've tried.

And, BTW, great choice for a defensive sidearm. I've owned a bunch of different semi-auto handguns, and shot many more, but the XD is my favorite. Great guns and a the best value in defensive handguns out there today. If Iowa ever changed to shall-issue, my XD service would be my winter carry gun, and I'd add an XD compact for summer concealment.

Mike
Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the input fellas! You guys rock!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the Double Tap ammo for any handgun round period.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some Hornaday TAP Self Defense rounds today. I also bought 250 Remington UMC's while I was at it for target practice.