Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7-30 waters purchase?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7-30 waters purchase?

My buddy asked me the other day what I thought of the 7-30 waters cartridge. He saw a used contender for 450$(unscoped I think) and thought it was good deal. He doesnt handload. I told him that ammo would be hard to find ,and expensive if he did , and even if he started handloading, brass would still be hard to come by and expensive. To be polite, I told him to buy what makes him happy, but suggested he look at a used superblackhawk or smith in 44mag, since I think its head and shoulders above the waters for killing power, and ammo is much cheaper and readily available. I dont get the waters caliber at all, a 30-30 necked down to 7mm ? I can think of no reason why the 708 or mauser wouldnt be a 10X better choice , but that said, I have no idea what the point of chambering a CF rifle cartrige in a 12-14" handgun is? Seems like recoil and report would be unbearable ,and the loss of velocity would be substanical. How far can you shoot a hangun acuratly anyway? I know its his $ but I just was curiuos to what others thought?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

No 1st hand experiance with 7-30 but I always thought the idea behind it was to be primarily used in Contender type hunting handguns. Personally I don't get the 7-30 Waters concept either. Provides a bit more range and less recoil than a 30-30 and I would think much less recoil than a Contender chambered in 7mm-08.

I would think that your friend should be able to neck down 30-30 brass but the reloading experts on here would probably be the people to ask.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a Waters since the first day one arrived here in my hometown. I still have two.
First of all a Contender is not capable of handling the pressure generated by a 7-08 thus the 7-30 Waters was born. It is easy to load for, rediculously accurate, easy on the shoulder and drops deer like lightning. Ya get that ?

Factory ammo is hard to come by but effective but this is a handloaders dream. 30-30 brass is cheap and easy to find. Neck it down, load it up and shoot it. Even fire form loads of "deer effective".
In a handgun of 14" like the Contender your effective range depends on your ability. I have shot antelope with mine out past 165 yds. and often show much better than most rifle shooters at any rifle range.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I cant argue w/ that kind of performance , seems like a great gun for a western pistol hunting enthusiast. I also didnt realize the contender and encore frames were different in anything but name. However ,I still think a 44 revolver would be more practical for a brush hunting (short range, not brush busting) novice handgun hunter. Especially one that doesnt handload.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
I've had a Waters since the first day one arrived here in my hometown. I still have two.
First of all a Contender is not capable of handling the pressure generated by a 7-08 thus the 7-30 Waters was born. It is easy to load for, rediculously accurate, easy on the shoulder and drops deer like lightning. Ya get that ?

Factory ammo is hard to come by but effective but this is a handloaders dream. 30-30 brass is cheap and easy to find. Neck it down, load it up and shoot it. Even fire form loads of "deer effective".
In a handgun of 14" like the Contender your effective range depends on your ability. I have shot antelope with mine out past 165 yds. and often show much better than most rifle shooters at any rifle range.
Damn you, now I want something in this caliber.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My current favorite is a carbine length G2. You would find that the Waters is an ideal "first rifle" for big game and plenty of punch out beyond 200 yds. This one is my sons

Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
If a Contender can't handle 7mm-08 pressure, no big deal.
It was being used as a example of a more main stream round that would give better performance than necked down 30-30.

A person who wants to hunt with a handgun has better and more popluar rounds to choose from.

So NO I still don't get the concept but if you're happy with it, good for you.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly wouldn't want to hunt with a gun thats "not popular". Sounds like a poster boy for Cabelas..........lol.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

If you read the original post, the person DOES NOT reload and implies that his friend has limtied or no handgun hunting experiance. So yes, shooting a more popular round would have advantages.

I like to hunt with things other than the top sellers too and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't get the concept behind a lot different rounds, the 7-30 is just one of them. I'm not saying it doesn't work. However, there are situations when using something more mainstream is a better choice.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by popeye2
However, there are situations when using something more mainstream is a better choice.
X2, especially these days . Incase anyone hasnt noticed theres a bit of a ammo and component shortage out there. No its not bad enough yet to stop one from shooting altogether but id rather have a boring vanilla caliber that I can find components or ammo for cheaper and easier than a cool unique one , and the deer dont know the difference anyway.