Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm-08?

Old 05-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm-08?

Vapodog summed up the part about bullet performance and animals reaction as I would have so all I can say is that the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge for short to medium range on deer and bear and would work well on moose and elk at shorter ranges.Recoil is mild and the cartridge tends to be inherently very accurate.I have owned two model sevens in 7mm-08 and was pleased with both.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Host of Hosts

I' ve got one in Rem Classic and it shoots like adream. I have yet to hunt anything with it, but I will this year. If I can bring myself to leave the trusty old 270 in the safe.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:55 PM

I really like my Win. Classic Compact in 7mm.08 w/Leupold VX3 1 1/2 to 5. It' s light, mild recoil, looks good and it' s a shooter grouping 2 inches with 140 gr. Fail Safes. And I know it kills deer. Two I' ve shot were both standing and bolted when hit, one went about 30 yds. and dropped the other about 40 yds. It' s my favorite deer rifle. I' m sure it would do the job on black bear but if I were going black bear hunting specifically I' d probably opt for one of my heavier calibres to be sure and take out the shoulder and lungs because they don' t always run the other way. gg.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:55 PM

I really like my Win. Classic Compact in 7mm.08 w/Leupold VX3 1 1/2 to 5. It' s light, mild recoil, looks good and it' s a shooter grouping 2 inches with 140 gr. Fail Safes. And I know it kills deer. Two I' ve shot were both standing and bolted when hit, one went about 30 yds. and dropped the other about 40 yds. It' s my favorite deer rifle. I' m sure it would do the job on black bear but if I were going black bear hunting specifically I' d probably opt for one of my heavier calibres to be sure and take out the shoulder and lungs because they don' t always run the other way. gg.

It beats me why this post appears twice?? gg.