Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Where did the term Magnum come from?

Old 05-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where did the term Magnum come from?

357. mag in the 1800,s? never heard of such a thing... i thought it was some guy(elmer kieth), working with some gun companys during the 1950(or around there)? that came up with the 357.mag& 44 mag also.

those guys in the 1800,s? put it into production then?
__________________________________________________ ___

Not to seem argumentive at 4 am lol , but without looking it up on the net etc.

my hornaday reloading manual says smith& wessen intoduced& put into production the 357. mag in 1935 ( the 44mag must be the 50,s?) for a more powerfull hunting& law inforcmemt improvement over the 38 speical... bigger/ longer to so not to fit &blow up some weaker 38,s too maybe?

before say 1900 wernt (pistol?)bullets seated on the outside of the case rim somehow?
Old 05-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

But i liked some of john brownings ?early experments with full auto, lever rifles...
assult weopon if the 1800,s?

Old 05-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to be argumentative, the .357 Magnum wasn' t a 1800' s cartridge.....the first use of the term Magnum in firearms cartridges as far as I know was the Holland and Holland 1912 introduction of the .375 H&H " MAGNUM" The .357 Magnum is a 1935 introduction.....sorry ...lets find an arbitor on this issue.....can someone find a " Magnum" prior to 1912?
Old 05-25-2003, 08:36 AM

Alright, I could be wrong, it is humanly possible anyways. It has been months since I have seen the show. Dates can be confusing, sorry!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:30 AM

Okay, did a little research. The .22lr was invinted in the late 1800' s, 1887 to be exact. I think this is where I got the association of the earlier centuries. However, I do remember someone quoting the phrase I posted earlier when trying to think of a name for their cartridge. Perhaps I just plucked Wesson out of the stratosphere and somehow subconscienciously (may have misspelled that one) associated the two with the .357 which was previously stated to be invented in 1935. Sorry for causing a disruption in the flow of knowledge. Sometimes you are just so sure you think you are right, but I am not above humility.

The site I found on dates of cartridge introduction in pretty neat and anyone interested in cartridge history should take a look.

http://www.kimdutoit.com/dr/essays/essays.php?id=P13

I don' t know how to post a link, but there is the website all the way down to the page. I hope this redeems me!
Old 05-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, as applied to bottles, it came from, are you ready?? France!! If there' s anything they need ifn France, it' s BIGGER BOOZE BOTTLES!!