Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cleaning lenses on scopes/binoculars

Old 05-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cleaning lenses on scopes/binoculars

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning your high quality lenses? I have tried different things but have never been able to get my lenses smudge free. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2003, 07:46 AM

Default RE: Cleaning lenses on scopes/binoculars

I like the Leupold ScopeSmith Lens Cleaning System (Lens Pen)---it has worked well for me. $9.99 at Bass Pro Shops. Check out this link:

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet...rTarget=search

Old 05-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this " stuff" ,it works great...

http://www.thepurplestuff.com/index.htm
Old 05-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they are quality lenses(binoculars) put them under running water and and dry them off with soft tissue. This is what my Leica owners manual recommends. For a riflescope blow off all loose dirt with a brush and camera lens cleaner(compressed air in a can) and then wipe it down with quality Lense cleaning tissue. I have Swarovski lens cleaning tissue and it works great, another good tool is the leupold lenspen when all loose dirt is blown off the surface.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Camera Lens Cleaning kit. It comes with a Blower brush,lens tissues, and cleaning solution.Works real well and easy to carry.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-21-2003, 03:44 PM
bigcountry

I agree with Ruger. Don' t use anything like papertowels or tissues. They have wood fibers in them. They sell some good camera cleaning kits. that are compact.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the tips guys. I got a lense cleaning kit. It has cleaning solution, cleaning tissues, and a brush. I also have an air compressor to blow off dirt, etc. I guess that maybe I am a little paranoid when it comes to cleaning the lenses on my binoculars. They are fairly new are are good quality. They have a green anti-reflective coating on them, and I am afraid to scratch them. I tried the cleaning kit, but still have smeers all over them. I can' t seem to get smeers off for some reason. Am I not pressing hard enough? Should I not worry that much about the amount of pressure that I am putting on them, since I am using the right materials? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

BobCo,
Get yourself one of those Leupold lens pens.........retractible brush on one side and a " felt " squeegy" on the other end under a cap.
Brush the dirt away until you are down to the smudges and then rub the lens with the " squeegy" end.......they make the lenses on my binos and scopes sparkling clear and absolutely smudge and scratch free.
Best $10 I ever spent..........or close to it anyway?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Totally concurr....Luepold Lens Pens!!!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK guys, thanks. I went to the gun center yesterday to try to get one. They had another brand that is about the same, but I think that I' ll order a Leupold from RedHead. It' s kind of funny going into a huge gun center that has tons of scopes and bino' s expecting to find something and they look at you like your nutts or something then send you to a camera shop to get the cleaner.