Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mauser or enfield

Old 05-22-2003, 04:45 AM

Default RE: mauser or enfield

thndrchiken..

it was back surgery. but i could not decide on a new gun. so i kinda put 2 and 2 together. money is harsh and woudl take time to buy anew browning. when i could buy a piece of history that i still can shoot and use it for hunting and down the road throw some money here and there in her.
i do see alot of M48' s and other mausers going from $115.00 and up. i thought that it would not be bad for that price. i know one place has a carl gustaffson in 6X55 sweede and i think it was a 1886 springfiled in 30-40 craig aswell as some MKII NO.4' s and NO.1' s.
i do know ther are alot of aftermarket parts for the mausers hich i s why i am leaning that way right now.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have several Enfields and Mausers.
Enfields in .303 British and a 2A in .308, all fantastic shooters.
But if you were going to buy just one I would buy a Mauser. My favorite is the 6.5 Swede.
You can buy stocks,triggers and other things for the Mausers, even the intermediate length Yugo 48 and 48A' s.
Stuff for the Enfields is not quite as easy to find. Although if you have a headspace problem with the Enfields you change the front of the bolt to the right length and you are good to go.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Spike

Like all Canadians I have a 303 British Lee Enfield in the closet, they had been sold in the Eaton’s and Simpson Sears catalogues for years after WWII. They are fun to shoot and are fine for bouncing around in a truck. But if you were to buy only a Mauser or an Enfield, I would buy the Mauser. If you get a deal on an Enfield by it. There was a tail that some solders could fire 10 rounds in 10 seconds out of an Enfield, I can’t.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one 1917 Enfield (winchester) and several Mausers. The Enfield I converted (because of it' s weight) to a .375 H&H mag. It has cock on opening, three position Winchester type safety and a Timney trigger. I altered the bolt handle to delete the dogleg style and It' s a fine shooter.......I could have bought a pre-64 Winchester for less!!!

The Mauser wins this issue hands down!!~~!!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

For a basis for a sporting bolt action rifle, nothing is better than a well-made Mauser. All " improvements" made by other designers to the basic M98 Mauser design, (like our M10903 DSpringfield!!) have been steps BACKWARD!!

However, because M98 Mausers were made everywhere in the world, including China, even, some are not made from good materials, nor properly heat-treated! So one must exercise care when choosing a Mauser. If in doubt about whether to buy a specific M98 Mauser, consult with Mr. J. Belk before buying. Those made by Mauser Oberndorf for Chile in the late 1930' s, those made by FN-Belgium for Venezuela starting with the 1924 model year, and some of the DWM-Argentine M-1909' s are excellent!!
Old 05-25-2003, 03:21 PM

I have a German lr 98 Mauser sporterized in 06. My brother has 1917 enfield sporterized in 7 mm mag. They are both great guns but we have had a lot of problems with keeping a tight group with the Enfield. He just had some work done to it to try to correct the problem. It just got recrowned, fit with " cock on open" , and a brand new timmey trigger. Hopefuly this is going to take of the problem. As far as parts, prewformance, reliability, and just all around, I would take a Mauser any and everyday over a Enfield. If your looking for a costom built Mauser drop me a e-mail, mines for sale. Beautful wood stock, timmey trigger and safty, drilled and tapped, just a real nice gun. No problem with one inch or better groups at 100 yards. ( I think it would do alot better with someone who can shoot pulling the trigger) [email protected]
Old 05-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting I' d take either a sporterized 98 or 96 and for a shootier I' d take either a 98, 96, or a Australian Lithgow Enfield.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think theres a company on the net that sells Mk smile jungle carbines/ reconditioned etc?

Are those anygood dos anyone know? anyone sell them in 308.?
prob those all cost a bit already redone.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:33 PM

I would take the Mauser IMO it has the better action. Most large ring mausers are easier to rebarrel. I cleaned up a Turkish Mauser 8x57JS that I bought for $45.00. I chopped the barrel down to 22" , cleaned up the action, put a quick release on the magazine, reblued the barreled action and Installed AO sights scout sight system and a 2.5x Burris, and a new synthetic stock. Makes a GREAT woods rifle.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:24 PM

i saw acouple of mausers firday. but most where in rough shape and someone looked like they scribed some #' s on the plate infront of the trigger gaurd. also saw a nice 1903-A3 and a M1-garand.
i think i am gonna get mauser when i nice one comes along. would like to find one in decent shape that i can spend about $300.00 for one.i do notice that the front post is very wide and shaped like a triangle. do they make aftermarket ones that are less wider?

Quick Reply: mauser or enfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.