Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 870 20 Ga. Compact w/slugs

Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Spike

Question Rem 870 20 Ga. Compact w/slugs

I am going to use my son's 20 Ga with rifled slugs this year for deer season. My question is how accurate would rifled slugs shoot out of a 21" barrel? anyone have decent results?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the barrel rifled or a smooth bore? I've shot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel and although they do lead the rifling up they shoot pretty good. Remington Sluggers or Winchester Foster slugs should work. You really need to buy 1/2 dozen (to start with) different kinds of slugs and try them out.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Spike

It is a smoothbore barrel with an improved cylinder choke. So I would be shooting the rifled slugs .
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM

We just got an 870 youth model 20 ga with a rifled barrel for my wife. Haven't shot it much yet, but with Brenekke slugs we got groups of about 4" at 50 yards off hand without touching the sight. I'm guessing that will tighten up a bit off a bench and even more if we put a scope or red dot on it.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, in my experience, shooting rifled slugs out of a smoothbore barrel can be very interesting. It is possible to get pretty decent accuracy, but often times the accuracy will vary A LOT depending on the shotgun and depending on the slugs you are using.

My best advice is to buy at least 3 different brands of rifled slugs (I'd suggest starting out with Federal TruBalls, Remington Sluggers and Breneke's) and try each of them out at 50 yards. If none of those show promise, try some different brands.

I was lucky enough with mine to only have to try 3 brands- with one brand I was lucky to hit a pizza box with 5 shots at 50 yards - the second brand I was shooting 8" groups. The Federals shoot best for me - about 4" groups at 50 yards. I'm still in the kill zone of a deer at 70 yards, which is about max range for that shotgun. However, I've known guys to shoot better groups that than, so it all depends.

I ended up switching over to muzzleloaders because I wasn't happy with the accuracy, and have never regretted that decision.