Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

On game performance from my 7mm Remington Magnum (150 grain BST) was amazing. I hit the buck square through the left shoulder at 75 yards, bullet exited through the rear boarder of the right shoulder...exit wound was about the size of my fist...removed and deposited a sizable portion of the right lung on the bank 10 yards behind the deer.

Deer travel = 0 yards...blood trail was not needed.

This load also consistently groups around 1/2 inch at 100 yards from my Savage 110 and knocks over steel targets at 500 yards all day long...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
zrex,
I've never saw that and I've shot alot of the BST's, If your buddys rounds were loaded with double based (ball) powder, I'm guessing they weren't pushing max pressure and since ball runs really dirty shooting less than max, I'm guessing you were cleaning carbon deposits out of it, didn't see it don't know for sure but thats my best guess.
RR

These were factory winchester BT's out of two different guns.

Originally Posted by Teach Deer
On game performance from my 7mm Remington Magnum (150 grain BST) was amazing. I hit the buck square through the left shoulder at 75 yards, bullet exited through the rear boarder of the right shoulder...exit wound was about the size of my fist...removed and deposited a sizable portion of the right lung on the bank 10 yards behind the deer.

Deer travel = 0 yards...blood trail was not needed.

This load also consistently groups around 1/2 inch at 100 yards from my Savage 110 and knocks over steel targets at 500 yards all day long...
The 7 mag is pretty rough on deer, I borrowed one, one time and shot a doe, she went maybe 40 yds and I dont even know how she did that. About a fist size exit wound and blood shot meat from front shoulder to rear ham, I swear!

Last edited by zrexpilot; 08-20-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have literally shot close to 1000 of the CT BTs (95gr) out of one of my 243s, and I've never experienced the "mud effect" when cleaning. I will tell you one thing about these bullets, I have never recovered one from any of the 200+ lb deer I've shot, and the distances have varied from 50-519 yards. I've also never had a deer take more than a few steps. I'm probably going to go load up another 150 of them today, and pull the 243 out of retirement again this season.