Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Choke

Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Which Choke

Ok,

So purchase a new 12 gauge shotgun on the weekend and now have a selection of chokes to use.

I have only ever hunted with an older 12 gauge 2 barrel that was just borrowed and no selection of chokes, I think it was just a cylinder shot.

I hunt mainly Canadian Geese and the odd duck and can only use steel shot, with that being said I can't use the full choke as that's not recommended for steel shot and now have the option between IC (improved cylinder?) or M (modified?). From the reading I have done the modified has the tighter pattern and I was planning on using this.

Unless someone with more experiance can tell me why the improved cylinder would make a better choke for my choice of hunting.

Next question, if I plan on shooting a slug I remove all chokes? Would this not damage the treaded part of the barrel where the chokes screw into???

Thanks
Jeff
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jeff, congrats on the new gun. The only way to know which choke to use is to pattern both with the ammo that your going to hunt with. There's a sticky note in the turkey hunting forum explaining the best way to do this. For slug shooting use the improved cylinder choke, never shoot your gun without a choke tube installed.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Centaur said........................

+1