Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

17 Rimfire ?

Old 01-24-2002, 07:10 AM
Spike

Default 17 Rimfire ?

Was just reading in a magazine that announced Hornady, is going to make a .17HMR cartridge and that Marlin, Ruger, and Anschutz, will make rifles for this new caliber. Is this similar to the rimfire round from the 70,s that i think it was Remington had on the market. And what area do they think this new caliber is going to fill. I look at the strides made just in the last 10 years for the .22mag I think its a great round with a good selection of ammo to choose from with 150 yard application's for small game. Any bigger/farther shots require moving up into a centerfire round in my book.I wonder if this round will have 200 yard and more effective range for small critters. From the stand point my neighbors don't always like hearing my 22-250 at 6:00am during the summer to dispatch some unwelcome critter's in the back yard. Well for me its that big wait and see thing now look forward to your feed back . Steve
Old 01-24-2002, 07:53 AM

Default RE: 17 Rimfire ?

I saw an ad in a NRA magazine. It looks nice and sounds great, but I remember Remington trying this some years ago with the 5mm Rem. If you reload it would be cheaper to get a .17 Hornet. Yes, it is still listed as a wildcat, but the brass is available and easy to make.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Webcicle...I was one of the unfortunate ones to buy a Rem 5mm. It was a true piece of junk. (Rem model 529M, I think) The gun never cycled right...never ejected right...and Rem told me that everything was fine. I tore it apart on my own and found the problem. Now I'd like to sell it...but one in perfect condition is only worth $150...mine's probably not worth a third of that.

Plus the shells haven't been made in 15+ years. I could buy the conversion package to make it a c-fire...but I'd have to put $150 into a gun that isn't worth it.

God I hate that gun...LOL...(I've never said that about another gun)

Thanks for letting me vent
Old 01-24-2002, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing is supposed to push a 17 grain bullet out of the muzzle at 2500fps. That seems relatively impressive, but i think the practical uses for this round will be very limited. Wind is going to play havoc with accuracy. The bullet is going to lose energy awfully fast and it only starts with 236ft lbs. I also question how the bullet will hold up after it strikes the target. I will stick with my 22WMR. If I want to shoot a 17 caliber, I will break out my pellet gun.