Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 gauge or 20 gauge encore barrel

Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Spike

Default 12 gauge or 20 gauge encore barrel

im in the market for a new slug barrel. I have the encore muzzleloader barrel but i was thinking about buying the 12 gauge pro hunter slug barrel. which gauge do you guys prefer. I have always been a 12 gauge person but i have a lot of buddy's that shoot 20 gauge. I thought about trying that but just wanted some feedback.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the muzzleloader barrel why would you want a slug gun barrel? You can pretty much accomplish the same thing and most (if not all) states allow muzzleloaders to be used during shotgun seasons. It would just take a little more time to reload it. Just wondering...
Old 07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought the 12ga slug ProHunter. I plan on shooting it for the first time next Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes. Im just trying to 2 types of ammo on the first day, Winchester Supreme Platinum and the Hordady SST. I havent found much info on good rounds for the encore.

As far as why buy a slug gun when you can muzzleload, I have an answer for my neck of the woods. I live in Maryland and yes, you can muzzleload hunt during any shotgun season which is exactly what I have been doing since I moved here 4 years ago. But there are so many lottery hunts on public parks and lands in this state and they only allow shotgun hunting for these hunts. I did not know this when I first looked into the lotto hunts and ended up getting drawn for 3 hunts last year....little did i know my Omega wasn't welcomed. These are high deer density areas where hunters are allowed 4+ deer A DAY so if you get drawn, your odds are good. Hence my big purchase of the Encore Slug was made just last week
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM

I'd have to say 20 gauge. Even though a 12 seems like it has more power, a 20 is somewhat more accurate as far as slugs go. I live in Ohio so everything I shoot is a slugged shotgun and I use my 870
Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

They both do similar things yes. I also own a slug gun and a muzzleloader. Here in NY there is a period of time where you can use a bow or a ML for early season (northern zone) then after the main firearms season there is another bow/ML season for the last two weeks (southern zone).

On the question of the 20 gauge or 12 gauge barrel. I would go with the 20. I own a H&R Slug hunter and love it. The recoil is easy and it shoots to 125-150 or so. I don't know that I would want to shoot much past those distances with a slug gun. Give me my rifle after 150 thank you.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

If I were to buy a slug gun or barrel, definitely 20 gauge. Much less recoil, and just as effective at slug gun ranges.

I'm done with 12 ga slugs -- tired of getting beat up.