Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

got a carry question

Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default got a carry question

ok i saw today where congress passed the credit card bill. Oddly enough with a law in it that gives the right to carry a firearm in a nat. park. Here is my question we are going to go to yellowstone and my dad wants to camp in the backwoods camping. I would want to carry a gun due to the bears and so on out there. Does anyone know what the law would be on me transporting my glock 21 45 with a 13 mag. Out to yellowstone. I do not have a carry permit and also do you know if there would be any issues if we need up in cali. When i had the gun with me. Would i be better off with a rifle or shotgun.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: got a carry question

Transportation laws are going to depend onthe state you would be traveling through.

I do know that magazines with more than 10 round capasity are illegal in California.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Im sorry I cant answere this question for you but there may be a LEO that can. I live in CA and have hunted out of state and of course brought my own guns accross state lines. Long guns and side arms. Never been questioned about it either. But......"Under the measure, any person with a state permit to carry a concealed weapon would be able to bring that weapon into parks and wildlife refuges unless a state law specifies otherwise." I interpret this as if you have a carry permit, you can now carry consealed in the park. If you dont, you cant. If and when its me in your shoes, my sidearm will be an open carry. I wouldnt want to have to wrestle with a coat or any other piece of clothing if a bear was comming at me. As far as CA is concerned, I would call the California State Department of Parks and Recreation to be sure.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking that in order to carry in a National Park, you would need a CCW permit. States laws vary considerably regarding transportation, reciprocity, carry etc. I suggest a lot of research be conducted BEFORE attempting such. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, a .45 is far from a decent "first choice" for bears, we're not talking black bears now, we're in grizzly country.

Second, people have been backcountry camping big parks like Yellowstone, Glacier, and Denali for years - all populated by large grizzlies - with surprisingly few issues. Having a firearm is certainly a boon to feeling"safe", but it's much more effective to religiously practice bear-proofing your camp. A friend, who's considered on the "fringe" by his fellow park rangers, supports the right to carry in National Parks, but IS concerned that he's going to have to start dealing with wounded bears and wolves "peppered with 9mm slugs" (point being - "inadequate caliber slugs"). And, that those instances will only be fuel for the antis to reverse the original law.

Third, I've seen a reference a few times in RV magazines about the firearms laws in all the states. This looks like the one I've read: http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Would i be better off with a rifle or shotgun.

Yes, you would!!
Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: homers brother

First, a .45 is far from a decent "first choice" for bears, we're not talking black bears now, we're in grizzly country.

Second, people have been backcountry camping big parks like Yellowstone, Glacier, and Denali for years - all populated by large grizzlies - with surprisingly few issues. Having a firearm is certainly a boon to feeling"safe", but it's much more effective to religiously practice bear-proofing your camp. A friend, who's considered on the "fringe" by his fellow park rangers, supports the right to carry in National Parks, but IS concerned that he's going to have to start dealing with wounded bears and wolves "peppered with 9mm slugs" (point being - "inadequate caliber slugs"). And, that those instances will only be fuel for the antis to reverse the original law.

Third, I've seen a reference a few times in RV magazines about the firearms laws in all the states. This looks like the one I've read: http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm
Great answer, Homer's bro!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I thought that the side arm was for shooting your buddy in the leg so the bear gets him and you run away.... I agree that a .45 is undersized for bear. I can also see a lot of wounded animals in the parks as well. Shot gun, 12 gauge, 3" Mag, slugs. But, are you going to carry that thing every day when your hiking? I read in a rag a while back that even though bear attacks are rare, the ones that do happen, some of the victoms are armed, well the tents wereanyhow but not the camper. Firearms are found in tents loaded, not one round fired. So, how much good is it really going to do? Bear proof your camp, Bear Pepper Spray, common sence while camping. I have been camping in bear, mountain lion, rattlesnake and various other habitats for decades and have never had a problem with any critter but mice, squirrles and ants. I bet my .45 can handle them.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

I thought that the side arm was for shooting your buddy in the leg so the bear gets him and you run away.... I agree that a .45 is undersized for bear. I can also see a lot of wounded animals in the parks as well. Shot gun, 12 gauge, 3" Mag, slugs. But, are you going to carry that thing every day when your hiking? I read in a rag a while back that even though bear attacks are rare, the ones that do happen, some of the victoms are armed, well the tents wereanyhow but not the camper. Firearms are found in tents loaded, not one round fired. So, how much good is it really going to do? Bear proof your camp, Bear Pepper Spray, common sence while camping. I have been camping in bear, mountain lion, rattlesnake and various other habitats for decades and have never had a problem with any critter but mice, squirrles and ants. I bet my .45 can handle them.
That might work, but you'll hope your buddy doesn't survive the encounter or you'll REALLY be in a world of hurt after he gets out of the hospital!

You hit on some great points here. Having been a "paranoid student" for years (before experience and common sense took its toll) about bears and camping - I once was mighty a'feared of bears and packed every man-portable cannon available in the woods with me. Though I still carry a .44 flyfishing, my mode now is of bear avoidance. Good camp "sense" - siting, hygiene, etc. Care in choosing my trails and paths, as well as the time of day I move around most.

If you read Herrero or Kaniut, most fatal big bear encountersseem to be up close, and often at night.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.
Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk.
The exceptions to this rule apply mainly to interstate transportation of handguns. The myriad and conflicting legal requirements for firearm transportation through the states make caution the key for travelers.
If you travel with a trailer or camper that is hauled by an automobile, it is advisable to transport the firearms unloaded, cased and locked in the automobile trunk. If your vehicle is of the type in which driving and living spaces are not separated, the problem becomes one of access. If the firearm (handgun, rifle or shotgun) is carried on or about the person, or placed in the camper where it is readily accessible to the driver or any passenger, state and local laws regarding concealed carrying of firearms may apply. It is recommended, therefore, that the firearm be transported unloaded, cased, and placed in a locked rear compartment of the camper or mobile home, inaccessible to the driver or passenger.
Generally, a mobile home is considered a home if it is not attached to a towing vehicle, is permanently attached to utilities or placed on blocks or in such a manner that it cannot immediately be started up and used as a vehicle.
Once you reach your destination, state, and/or municipal law will control the ownership, possession, and transportation of your firearms

CALIFORNIA--Caution - before entering the state, a California permit and registration may be required for specific semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic pistols, shotguns, and any other firearm that is considered an "assault weapon." Contact the California Dept. of Justice in Sacramento for additional information at (916)263-4887, or at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/. I found this, hope it helps.

Quick Reply: got a carry question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.