Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

45 acp ammo .

Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 45 acp ammo .

Ok i am set on the glock 21 45 acp. Now i think i need to lock at proplery the most important part to the purchase. The ammo
I am thinking win. USAfmj ammo to do some target practice then some real good hollow points for defense.
When i had the 9mm i bought some hollowpoints that where shaped like a star on the inside that open up and did some good cutting. Should i go back to this or not. Also what brand would you recommend for the 21. I do not see shooting hollowpoints at 1.00 a piece so will i be ok with shooting the fmj for practice. I would not do this with a low end gun but come on it is a glock for good sakes.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 45 acp ammo .

you will be fine shooting cheaper FMJ loads....

i think the only thing you cant shoot in a glock is lead bullets because of the rifling they use....

for target and plinking, any decent FMJ bullet will be fine...i usually stay away from anything that isnt brass cased...and stay away from the "remanufactured" ammo...not sure if its bad or good..never shot it..just dont like the word "remanufactured" infront of the name lol....

for protection/self defense, pick a good hollow point...speer, hydra shock, federal HST, etc all are good choices....lots of info and reading on that subject online...

if you havent handled other glock models, dont rule them out before you see them and play with them in person....the 21 is a full sized pistol...not sure if your looking to conceal carry or what...it can be a bear to carry a full sized auto..and can be a bear to conceal one...not trying to steer you away..i dont know what you plan to do with it...just some things to think about before you get set in stone and end up with a full sized auto and wish you had something smaller you could conceal and carry easier....i got a sig 226 which is a full sized auto...winter with a hoodie on, i can conceal it...summer with a t-****, i need an inside the waist band holster..even then i dont know if i'll get it concealed or not...going to have to see....if not, thats a good excuse for me to buy another gun! lol....

good luck with the new purchase!! always a good idea to play with a couple different models...dont get set on one and a certain caliber until you play with a couple...the 45 is a great round but mag capacity, recoil, and ammo prices are all things to consider...i dont know if you did all that yet or not...just pointing it out...its all personal preference...but all too many times people get set one something and dont think it through and end up not happy in the end...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks alot of good info. I did try a few only issue i have with the glock 21 is the width of the frame. i am thinking the slimframe to fix that. But still not a big issue. The second thing is this will be a general defense gun. I will not be carrying it concealed. I do not have a ccw If i move to KY like i hope it will be on a belt holster. It will mostly just be a home defense weapon. The mossberg 500 is just not doing it for me any more.
I have always been a 9mm guy. Only real thing that keep me from switching was the ammo cost. I figured it out the other day 9mm win ammo 100 round box 27.99 or so . Win 45. acp 100 round box 40.00 thats like .1.3 cents differnt which is not much on a 40.00 box of ammo. The glock 21 is a 13 rounder the ruger i looked at was 15 and the glock 19 is 17 i think. I think the full frame will fit me better then the compact as the high point i had in ky was a compact and to small. luckly the dealer took it back at full trade even after i shot it.
ORIGINAL: mauser06

you will be fine shooting cheaper FMJ loads....

i think the only thing you cant shoot in a glock is lead bullets because of the rifling they use....

for target and plinking, any decent FMJ bullet will be fine...i usually stay away from anything that isnt brass cased...and stay away from the "remanufactured" ammo...not sure if its bad or good..never shot it..just dont like the word "remanufactured" infront of the name lol....

for protection/self defense, pick a good hollow point...speer, hydra shock, federal HST, etc all are good choices....lots of info and reading on that subject online...

if you havent handled other glock models, dont rule them out before you see them and play with them in person....the 21 is a full sized pistol...not sure if your looking to conceal carry or what...it can be a bear to carry a full sized auto..and can be a bear to conceal one...not trying to steer you away..i dont know what you plan to do with it...just some things to think about before you get set in stone and end up with a full sized auto and wish you had something smaller you could conceal and carry easier....i got a sig 226 which is a full sized auto...winter with a hoodie on, i can conceal it...summer with a t-****, i need an inside the waist band holster..even then i dont know if i'll get it concealed or not...going to have to see....if not, thats a good excuse for me to buy another gun! lol....

good luck with the new purchase!! always a good idea to play with a couple different models...dont get set on one and a certain caliber until you play with a couple...the 45 is a great round but mag capacity, recoil, and ammo prices are all things to consider...i dont know if you did all that yet or not...just pointing it out...its all personal preference...but all too many times people get set one something and dont think it through and end up not happy in the end...
Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definately look at the Glock 21 SF or the G30 SF if the 21 is too big for you. Many people find the 21 too big but find the 21 SF to be about right. I personally shoot the G30 SF better.

FMJ ammo will be fine in the Glock....just avoid lead due to the polygonal(sp?) rifling. If you really want to shoot lead, there are several aftermarket barrels available for Glocks that would allow you to shoot lead bullets.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 2 best hollowpoints IMO are Winchester Ranger SXT (Black Talon) 230 gr +P and Gold Dot 230 gr +P. Both of these have been well documented to perform well in actual shootouts. Be SURE they WILL feed with 100% reliability in YOUR gun before carrying them however-regardless of what it is and the brand reputation.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

My preferences are the Remington Golden Saber 185 grain BJHP +P, the Speer Gold Dot 200 grain JHP +P (possibly the hottest load out there), and the Federal 230 grain HydroShok.

I also like some reloads I purchased featuring a 185 grain XTP at 1150 ft/s.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Typical Buck

For defence ammo, the Gold Dot are good Cor-Bon, and take a look at the Pow'RBall...good stuff
Old 04-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plinking = anything ,Self defense , Go to the Double Tap site .You can get justabout any projectile you want. There ammo is supposed to be hotter and faster than any other.Some magical, mystical powder combination.I use them in the 10 mm.THEY ARE HOT!That being said I like the Speer Gold Dots.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Federal 230-grain Hydra-shock is a good load. I use it in my Hardballer.