Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My new 7# .243! Now which load?

Old 04-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new 7# .243! Now which load?

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I tried posting the pic before but could only get it to post with it as an attachment.

Factory stock rifle...

Wanted the zeiss with the z600 reticle(which would have matched the .243win better) but at 14x its only the z800(which is more for ultraflat cartridges like .300RUM, etc...) or mil-dot, but I'll be able to figure it out/tune it wit the mil-dot for those longer ranges. Has the target knobs on the mil-dot too. Was looking for more of a lightweight set up, so went with the 44mm over the 50mm. Also 44mm figured it was larger than the 40mm leupold, so gives me a lil something extra at least. Seems like a great scope so far. Noticeably lighter than the nikons BDC I checked out and I think even the vx-iii

Was really the only factory rifle that had what I wanted. lightweight, 24" barrel, 243 win, synthetic stock, ideally sand color..., blackened stainless barrel.

Probably would've built a custom for more money if this wasn't on the market, or "settled" for something else, would've had to give somethign up somewhere. Had in been a custom wouldve probably chose a rem 700 action, though I'm hoping she does fine.

I also considered the Z800 reticle for my rifle, but the 257 Wby actually shoots too flat for it. I had intended to just get the standard Z-Plex, but I found the scope I now have and the deal was very good, so I decided to just get the mil-dot. I actually like it. I have studied a bit on how to use it and the mil-dot system, once you understand it, is pretty useful and not too difficult. Just make sure you have the power ring set right at 10x for ranging. I used a measured target and tested the mil-dot calibration and mine was dead-on at 100 yards with the power set exactly at 10x, like it's supposed to be. Mine also has the target turrets. I was a little apprehensive about them at first, because target turrets are easier to damage, but the Zeiss target turrets are pretty low-profile compared to many others. I'm betting your rifle will be very accurate, given the Howa/Vanguard rep for excellent accuracy, and the Zeiss will be reliable and allow very precise aiming. With your rifle/caliber/scope combination, I'm very glad I'm not a groundhog, coyote or deer!

Mike

Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's the Mark V, not the howa/vanguard, which I know guys do great things with those vanguards, and you can get the sub-moa versions, but in .243 I'd really like to see 1/2" groups @ 100yds, we'll see.

Too flat for the z800? geez, that z800 is awefully flat, guess that's the .257wby for ya!! I guess they just assume not many z600 people are gonna want to shoot that far, or want 14x in a z600. Though I used their calculator on their website and just couldn't make it work. I think I'll be able to figure out the mil-dot no sweat, I'm using it more for long distant shooting than ranging, I have the range finder for that, I more so wanted to just know where those dots will be down range, so I'm not gonna be holding over 4' or something, I'll make it happen with the mil-dot, solved my dilemna, quite happy with the set up.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

It's the Mark V, not the howa/vanguard, which I know guys do great things with those vanguards, and you can get the sub-moa versions, but in .243 I'd really like to see 1/2" groups @ 100yds, we'll see.
My mistake. Not reading closely enough again. The Vanguard bolt shroud is so similar to the Mk V that I assumed wrong. [:@]

And yeah, the 257 Wby with a 26" barrel can easily spit a 100gr bullet out in the high 3500's to low 3600 fps range without working up too much of a sweat. Using the Zeiss Rapid-Z calculator on Zeiss' website, it could not optimize the scope to the round, always saying that I needed to try a slower ammo. [8D] Go figure. If you allow for a +/- 3" trajectory from the line of sight, it has a max point blank range of about 350 yards with a 300 yard zero. With the 300 yards zero it's just under 7.25" low at 400 yards, which still allows me to hold high but still on fur and get a solid hit.

Mike

Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sure is a smoker! Seems alotta guys with the .257 shoot light loads out of them, which I don't fully understand? it's already so flat, why not shoot 110-120grs?

I guess flatter is flatter...

Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the 100 grain Barnes Tipped TSX BT. If Barnes made the Tipped TSX in a 110-115 grain boat-tail, I'd definitely try them. The 257 Roy should be able to get the 115gr standard TSX going to about 3450-3500 fps without trouble. It shoots flatter than the 300 Ultra Mag (by a small margin). My rifle shoots the 100gr TTSX around 1/2 MOA. This rifle and load is a deer's worst nightmare to way beyond 500 yards. Your 243 should do an outstanding job on deer, and would be better if you ever want to pop a coyote and keep or sell the hide. With the 257 Wby I doubt it would leave a sellable pelt.

Mike

Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 AM

I agree with the scope choice. I put the same scope (w/ SS finish) on my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .243. It's a tack driver. Great performance in low light conditions.

I use 100 corelockt for deer and 90 gr Siroccos for antelope (usually long range shots)

Old 04-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I played with about every bullet you can get for the 243 in handload form, and I use the 95gr Combined Technology BTs for deer, antelope. It's always a bang, flop. I've even used them on coyotes when I ran out of 60gr Sierra HPs, and again a bang flop, with no fur damage as long as you avoid the shoulder blades.

That Weatherby should be a good shootin lil rifle for ya.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

With Sierra's the GameKings are for game and MatchKing for targets...

Now...I've killed over 175 deer with my .243...Around 35 were with the 85gr HPBT...These bullets are harder and penetrate better than most think...When we hear "hollow point" we think of a fragile bullet...It's not so with the Sierra GameKings...I've killed deer with about 10 of the most popular .243 factory loadings, trust me, that 85gr Federal loading is awsome...

Now, if you are shooting them at 35-50 yards in the woods, stick with a standard CoreLokt, Hornady or Nosler Partition...But for those antelope, if your gun likes them, that's the load to go with...

I sight mine in 2 1/2 high at 100 and I'm only 3 inches low at 300...
+1 on the 85 BTHP.. I have tried other loads and keep coming back to this round time and time again.