Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom built AR for 700

Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Custom built AR for 700

A new friend i have found who is doing some work on our house and in the army Nat. guard told me he could get me a custom built AR15 for 700 bucks.
He told me one of his guard buddies is a gunsmith and has a ffl. He told me the guy would build me a completely hand built AR15 with a colt lower. I am assuming since there in the guard it would be a M4 lower. 700 bucks sounds likea great price right now especially since it would be a colt lower.
Does this sound like a good deal? I was planning on picking up my glock in a few weeks but a Ar for 700 bucks hard to pass up.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Custom built AR for 700

The word "custom" makes me wonder just what he can do without a machine shop that will be any different than buying the parts and buildingthe gun from"over the counter" parts. $700. for an AR, any AR, withouttruely custom machineingdone, is still a good price these days. If he is going to truely do "custom" work on the AR, I'd like to know just what it is that he can do and still sell the gun for $700.

I have two "custom" built uppers, and you can't even buy just the uppers, for less than $1000.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry my mistake. What i meant by custom is he is going to order all the factory parts from colt for the lower the springs triggerthen completely assm. the gun. The guy said he is not sure if the upper will be colt or not my guest is the lower is a complete kit as something there will be a ffl transfer i would assume. Then build the upper from another manf. or the best parts from each manf. I am going to talk with him more tomorrow or monday about it. Normaly i would not think about doing this but he is a army guardsmen and a gunsmith plus being as ffl dealers tells me he ant some joker in his basement.
ORIGINAL: Howler

The word "custom" makes me wonder just what he can do without a machine shop that will be any different than buying the parts and buildingthe gun from"over the counter" parts. $700. for an AR, any AR, withouttruely custom machineingdone, is still a good price these days. If he is going to truely do "custom" work on the AR, I'd like to know just what it is that he can do and still sell the gun for $700.

I have two "custom" built uppers, and you can't even buy just the uppers, for less than $1000.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he can build a complete AR15 for $700., that's as good of a deal as you're going to find these days. Concider that most stripped lowers run at about $160-$250, and most complete lower parts kits run about $100., doesn't leave much room to complete the rifle for $700.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be careful of assumptions. Just because he's a member of the military, don't assume he's going to use military parts (sidenote, if he does, be prepared to become an accomplice to theft of RIGIDLY accounted-for federal property). Further, don't assume he'll be any more competent a "gunsmith" than an experienced civilian would be. I've known military armorers to do some VERY irresponsible things.

I'd want to see what kind of work he does first. "Parts guns" have a pretty spotty record of reliability, compared to most factory rifles.

"Gunsmith" + "FFL" indicate to me that he's probably legit, but don't give his National Guard membership any more credit than it's due regarding "better parts" or "better rifle". He'll have no greater access to quality components thanwould any other gunsmith. Proof's on the range.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

All good info homers brother
I am going to check into it when i figure out when i am ready to buy i do not want the guy to trust me i trust him but i do not know his buddy.
I figure i will ask to meet with the guy and see one of his guns if lucky see one fired.
ORIGINAL: homers brother

Be careful of assumptions. Just because he's a member of the military, don't assume he's going to use military parts (sidenote, if he does, be prepared to become an accomplice to theft of RIGIDLY accounted-for federal property). Further, don't assume he'll be any more competent a "gunsmith" than an experienced civilian would be. I've known military armorers to do some VERY irresponsible things.

I'd want to see what kind of work he does first. "Parts guns" have a pretty spotty record of reliability, compared to most factory rifles.

"Gunsmith" + "FFL" indicate to me that he's probably legit, but don't give his National Guard membership any more credit than it's due regarding "better parts" or "better rifle". He'll have no greater access to quality components thanwould any other gunsmith. Proof's on the range.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not think he is stealing the parts and i would not have any part of that federal prison does not sound fun. He told me the guy would order the parts for the lower from colt. then he would build the lower from scratch and buy the parts for a upper properly from another company. Which i have a little issue with why not just build a colt not half and half which it might cost alittle more but thats what i want.
ORIGINAL: homers brother

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just because he's a member of the military, don't assume he's going to use military parts (sidenote, if he does, be prepared to become an accomplice to theft of RIGIDLY accounted-for federal property). AMEN!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

can you even build an AR these days for 700$???

i know when dad and I built ours from parts we didnt save a whole lot....

never had a problem with ours...we used good new uppers and lowers and parts kits...but the saving wasnt huge...and that was a good while before the price leaps....700$ now is about a steal....

Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what parts are running these days, but $700 DOES sound pretty enticing, depending on what you're getting.

Actually, it's not at all uncommon for a lower manufactured by one company to be married up to an upper from another. While I don't own any such combination, I know a number of people (including some competitive shooters) who do.

Quick Reply: Custom built AR for 700

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.