Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Neck Fusion?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neck Fusion?

Have any of you guys had your neck fused? I had 2 disc removed Friday and a metal plate put in my neck. My doctor is telling me not to worry about recoil and I can shoot any of my guns. I thinking about putting muzzle brakes on everything above a .243. I have an appointment with him again on Monday and I'm going to bring some pictures of all my guns to try and make him understand how much I shoot. I'm not trying to create a problem, I'm just not sure my city slicker surgeon understands high powered rifles and recoil. Have any of you guys been through anything like this?
Thanks Bryan
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neck Fusion?

I've had the necks of some reloads fuse to the bullet shank. Some of the case mouth went bye-bye along with the bullet. Load was.45/70 using RL7 and Barnes Original 400-grain bullets.

But that was different from your situation.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Wish I could help. Sorry to hear about the medical problems. You might try searching for posts dealing with low recoil. I know that there are several guys on here that have mentioned using 7mm08 or such due to medical issues, but that could have been shoulder issues. Good luck
Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Site Bouncer

Bryan,

Sorry but I don't have much experience with spine problems that far up the back but I'd just like to say I hope you recover fully.

I've had back problems most of my life (football) and have had the better part oftwo disc's removed (one is completely collapsed) all in my lower back. I just had an operation in Octoberbut no fusing or pins for me as of yet. I suspectthe heavy recoilwill bea non factoronce you heal fully but muzzle breaks will certainly help.

Again, sorry I couldn't help but I just wanted to wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I've had the necks of some reloads fuse to the bullet shank. Some of the case mouth went bye-bye along with the bullet. Load was.45/70 using RL7 and Barnes Original 400-grain bullets.

But that was different from your situation.
Now that's funny! Thanks for the kind remarks. Time will tell. I bought several 22lr rifles and pistols just in case.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have 5 vertabrae fused and bolted together in my lower back and both shoulders were rebuilt. Recoil bothers my shoulders more than my back. I know my neck is next, so let me know how you progress and what your doctor tells you.

BTW, drawing a bow just kills my back - instant and lasting pain.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: the outsider

I have 5 vertabrae fused and bolted together in my lower back and both shoulders were rebuilt. Recoil bothers my shoulders more than my back. I know my neck is next, so let me know how you progress and what your doctor tells you.

BTW, drawing a bow just kills my back - instant and lasting pain.
I'd give up all my guns to keep bow hunting. Hopefully things will work out for me. Have you checked into shooting a crossbow?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

No neck problems but PLENTY back problems/fusions/surgerys in back & shoulder. I have an morphine pump implanted and can shoot anything I want. I hope you heal fully. You WILL experience some loss of flexibility at least. Neil
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Spike

How about a lead sled? One of the online and catalog folks have a video posted of some guy shooting with en egg between his shoulder and the lead sled and it doesn't break. I just purchased one and am waiting for the weather to break so I can sight in my new ML.
Good luck with the healing. Try some fish oil as its claimed to reduce inflamtion as well as being good for you.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Have any of you guys had your neck fused? I had 2 disc removed Friday and a metal plate put in my neck. My doctor is telling me not to worry about recoil and I can shoot any of my guns. I thinking about putting muzzle brakes on everything above a .243. I have an appointment with him again on Monday and I'm going to bring some pictures of all my guns to try and make him understand how much I shoot. I'm not trying to create a problem, I'm just not sure my city slicker surgeon understands high powered rifles and recoil. Have any of you guys been through anything like this?
Thanks Bryan
I have never had a neck fusion but I am a doctor and I am pretty sure that you can trust your doctor's advice that you can shoot any of your guns safely. There is a huge liability issue for him if he tells you that you can do something without a problem, and when you do it, you end up with a worse injury. He may not seem to be familiar with friearms I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard rifle in .300WBY magnum and a Remington SP-10 ten gauge shotgun and while I have suffered some shoulder bruising I have never felt any pain or stiffness in my neck even after long sessions at the range or in the duck blind. One could therefore conclude that recoil from a rifle or shotgun does not apply a stress or torque on the neck.