Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shooting rest question

Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default shooting rest question

Ive read that the caldwell lead sled and other that do not allow the butt of the gun to touch your shoulder can send the energy to other places like the scope or crack the stock.Will i be okay if i get a rest that holds the gun but allows the butt to touch my shoulder??
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting rest question

I've heard that about the Lead Sled before. I'd imagine it's only a problem if you put a LOT of weight on it so the gun is effectively recoiling into a solid surface. The energy has to go somewhere, and when you stop solidly it's more likely to break things. Think about the difference between your face hitting the airbag in a head-on collision, vs. your face versus the windshield. The airbag cushions the blow by spreading the same amount of force over a longer time because it has a lot of give. The windshield is really hard and doesn't give easily, so by the time it does give, so has your skull.

Anyway, yes you can get shooting rests that support the rifle but allow it to recoil normally into your shoulder and they will not damage the gun because your body still provides most of the recoil absorbtion. I, personally, use a Harris bi-pod and a "rabbit ear" leather rear bag when I shoot on the bench. The bipod supports the forearm and stabilizes the rifle, while the read bag cradles and supports the buttstock and allows aiming adjustments by sliding the rear bag left/right for right/left corrections, and forward/back for up/down (all respectively) corrections. Other options include sandbags front and back, sandbags just in front with no rear support other than your shoulder (not as accurate, but more like the field). I've even used a metal ammo can and a folded towel as a front bag before. They also make a wide variety of front shooting rests that go from being a basic pedestal to a complex, two axis, micrometer adjustable rest. I like the short (9" extended I think) Harris bipod, because it's light, portable (mine lives in the double rifle aluminum hard case my rifle lives in), and stable enough for what I need it for. It was also not very expensive.

Mike
Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't particularly care for the LeadSled myself. driftrider is correct when he says that the more weight you add to it, the less it will move. Simple Physics. The problem I have with the "sled" is that it is uncomfortable for me to work with, and besides it being heavy itself, you need to haul additional weight to pile on it to make it work to full potential. But it DOES move under recoil. Amount of movement is porportional to the total sled weight vs. the recoil factor for the rifle being fired. Although it canreduce the amount of felt recoil a good bit, it's a lot to bother with. I perfer the free-recoil style myself, shooting off a front sandbag under the forearm, a rear sandbag near the stock toe with my left hand on the rear bag controlling fine adjustment and hold. You get all the recoil, but it's much easier for me and more comfortable in position. I respect recoil, but I don't let it interfere with my shooting and load work-up sessions. You have to acheive a "mind-set" about it or you will have a tough time overcoming the fear of it.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used a recoil-absorbing rest similar to the lead sled. No gun damage yet, but point of impact is different than when fired from the shoulder.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

thanks everyone...ill either get a pedestal and rear bag or a rest that holds the gun but allows my shoulder to touch.My local shop has the sled on sale for $89.00.But im not taking the risk of all the possible problems with it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use good ol sandbags front & rear. In fact, 1 set actually contains lead birdshot for steadiness.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

i own one but i only use it for shooting my slug gun. two reasons. heavy recoil and slugs POI is affected by recoil since they move slow. They are somewhat cumbersome, as they do cradle your firearm and you basically have to shoulder the entire setup. but in my situation, bench shooting 20-50 rounds of slugs. i love it for that. its nice to pull the forearm down into the lead sled ( rifle no no.....but porper slug shooting technique) to minimize muzzle rise and hence POI