Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun shooting high

Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default shotgun shooting high

First off, I want to thank everyone that always post rep[lies. When I need help this is the forum I come to. Now my problem. I bought a new choke for my son's 20 gauge shotgun and patterned some buckshot. I triedthe big three brands and all shot a foot high at around 35 yards. Should I send thechoke back and try another or could the problem be in the barrel? In case it matters,the choke was a extended extra full Trulock. The WinchestersandRemingtons were #3 buckshot and the Federals were #2 buckshot. Not alot of choices in 20 gauge buckshot.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shotgun shooting high

I have yet to see an extra full choke shoot buckshot well. My shotgun shoots buckshot better (on target and a tighter pattern) with a modified choke.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also think you'll see a better pattern with a different choke, modified or maybe full, extra full is too tight. That may fix your high point of impact problem. Do other shot loads, like #4 also hit high?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

id agree try a regular 15$ or whatever factory modified choke...

shoot some regular ole birdshot and see where it shoots.

one thing alot of shotgun shooters do it keep their head to high from the start and also raising their head before the shot because they know the recoil is coming and after shooting a couple loads of buckshot, the side of your face is hurting and making the problem worse many times...

try to keep your head low and get a good meld on the stock with your cheek..hard on shotguns because there usually is no cheek piece like rifles have...

if everything shoots high, your going to have to get adjustable sights or a scope to fix it probably...

if its a hunting shotgun, a simple rifle style fiber optic sight thats adjustable may work. if its a home defense shotgun, i like ghost rings. its like a large peep sight..or a red dot will work for either or a scope will work for predator/turkey hunting...
Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

As strange as it may sound, the barrel can be slightly bent in the needed direction to change the point of impact. This is shotgun smithing work, or get an experienced turkey shoot competitor to do it for you.

You could also put a rear sight like the Williams Guide type on the gun and adjust it accordingly..............
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

id agree try a regular 15$ or whatever factory modified choke...

shoot some regular ole birdshot and see where it shoots.

one thing alot of shotgun shooters do it keep their head to high from the start and also raising their head before the shot because they know the recoil is coming and after shooting a couple loads of buckshot, the side of your face is hurting and making the problem worse many times...

try to keep your head low and get a good meld on the stock with your cheek..hard on shotguns because there usually is no cheek piece like rifles have...

if everything shoots high, your going to have to get adjustable sights or a scope to fix it probably...

if its a hunting shotgun, a simple rifle style fiber optic sight thats adjustable may work. if its a home defense shotgun, i like ghost rings. its like a large peep sight..or a red dot will work for either or a scope will work for predator/turkey hunting...

All good advice!
Extra full choke is to tight, gun probably isn't fitting correctly, and you can add a higher rear sight picture aperatureto make it shoot to your eye POA(or smaller height of front sight), change choke tube or change shot size? I have had some truely bent shotgun barrels over the years, but normally shooting offis one of the other mentioned factors causing the problemon patterning?

Note:
One of the most common factors I have found while teaching shooting classesof people shooting high. Some people just can't shoot or get accustom to a VR barrel(and this falls back on the gun not fitting properly and stance of the shooter themselves. Just Food for Thought?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. Now I pose this. Most speciality ckokes in 12 gauge designed for buckshot use a .690 constriction which is extra full. Examples are the Primos Dead Deer buckshot tube and the Kicks BuckKicker choke.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If EVERYTHING else fails, and you don't want to slightly bend ("spring") the barrel, just remove wood from the comb of the stock. When shooting shotguns, your eye serves as the "rear sight". Another, easier fix would be to install an higher front bead.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Can't help you with the specialty designed buckshot tubes. I have never used one personally or seen one in action. I have seen a lot of folks shoot buckshot through extra full turkey chokes, or just plain full chokes. In ever instance switching to a modified or improved cylinder improved the group.

I suspect the tighter chokes caused the pellets to bounce off each other, because the patterns were wide and had a lot of fliers.

Maybe some manufacturers have solved this problem. I would be interested to hear your results. Is the pattern simply high, or both high and more dispersed than you desire (or than advertised).
Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

Thanks for the replies. Now I pose this. Most speciality ckokes in 12 gauge designed for buckshot use a .690 constriction which is extra full. Examples are the Primos Dead Deer buckshot tube and the Kicks BuckKicker choke.
Actually, the actual degree of choke is determined by the difference between the choke ID and the ID of the bore of the gun (cylinder).Bores can vary quite a bitat their maximum diameter.

Quick Reply: shotgun shooting high

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.