Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Trigger

Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 AM

Default Remington Trigger

A friend of mine, who I thought knew guns, said he could adjust the trigger on my 700. After his "adjustments," the travel screw (screw on top on the front of trigger) will not screw back in but about half way which causes my barrel and action not to fit back into stock. What are my options cause right now all I know is take it to a gunsmith like I should have to begin with. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Trigger

I'd take it to a gunsmith to be checked out. If I recall correctly, none of the screws in a old-style Remington trigger should be backed that far out. For no reason other than safety I'd take it in to a professional and have it reworked the right way.

Mike

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM

When you try to screw it in farther like it is suppose to it is locked up like something is behind it preventing it from going on in.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vacrowhunter

When you try to screw it in farther like it is suppose to it is locked up like something is behind it preventing it from going on in.
No doubt that is happening. You may need to disassemble the whole trigger and put it back together. This is not difficult, but you'dbest have a QUALIFIED Remington smith do it!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 AM

Thanks for your help. I will definitely take it to a qualified person this time. I need to be kicked for not doing it the first time. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: vacrowhunter

Thanks for your help. I will definitely take it to a qualified person this time. I need to be kicked for not doing it the first time. Thanks again.
Remington old sytle triggers are adjustable to a point, by moving the set and adjusting screws, However, if you want a nice trigger job it needs to go to a smith that is very good at honing after the adjustment. (Since most of these are riveted, this is done with a compound paste, then removed (extracted) and reoiled for smoothness) The most important thing with 700's is they were massed produced and you CAN'T do everyone the same, period. It is an art to make them really shine. Ruger MKII are in the same arena, but they do come apart, easier to hone and work on, they don't have much if any adjust menton except for the the new style (or very old style), but with the right touch and slow operation they can be they smoothest trigger you have ever pulled (or touched off). JMO and 2 cents