Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope for ar15

Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope for ar15

Just today I bought this gun:

[align=center]
[/align]
[hr]

and I was wondering what glass I should put on top of it...This gun purchase alone has pretty much wiped out my discretionary gun/ scope money (perhaps for years to come...lol) so I'm definately looking to stay around the $250 range. I'd like to get some sort of ballistic plex and am leaning toward a 4.5-10 burris from cabelas bargain cave.

Dont know anything about how rings or bases work for an AR...if I have to get special ones or what not. I've never even handledan ARbefore but I know I wanted one (and I've heard good reports about rock river and this model in particular) before the new administration gives us all a new AWB.

Any input related to anything about these ARs and their "optics platforms" would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scope for ar15

really depends on the use...

will you be doing long range varmint hunting? long range competitive target shooting? plinking/fun sorta thing? short range hunting?

basically, how far do you plan to shoot(close and far) and as what kind/size targets?

different applications and shooters call for different optics...if your predator hunting at night id recommend something completely different than if your shooting groundhogs at 600 yards...and if your plinking and shooting cans off the fence in the pasture id recommend something else...

Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, no coyote hunting at night right now and I'd like to plink/varmint shoot as long a distance as possbile...if possible. Not sure if any scope would make a .223 accurate/deadly at 600 yards even on a ground hog. Dunno. Don't really know what this gun will be capable of...if anything...other than be/should be highly accurate at medium ranges and perhapsa little further.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

the caliber is VERY capable at ranges most shooters are not...killer with the 22 cals is light bullets and wind drift and energy...but a good shooter can drop a varmint at some amazing ranges with a 223...and the rifle aughta be capable...looks like a 3/4moa guarentee...

but, for what you got in mind is say the scope your looking at will be alright....more magnification is nice at longer ranges...but, in a 250$ or so scope, id stay in the 3-9 and 4-12 power range...higher magnification is usually about useless in lower end glass...not sure what burris your looking at but burris scopes are generally pretty solid scopes...

can always upgrade the scope later down the road as you as a shooter outgrow it....long range shooting takes time and practice and dedication and learning to be consistant and accurate...as you get better and start reaching out farther you will want better glass and higher magnification...but maybe you wont...lots of long range shooters dont use super high magnification scopes...and maybe you wont like it or dont have any ranges or hunting spots you can really reach out there...

good luck

Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

As far as rings go, you are going to need something to fit the picatinny/1913 rail. Weaver style is simular and will work. With the A2 stock you are going to need super high rings or a riser of some sort to get enough height for proper eyealignment.
I have a few various AR's and they are set up differently. My heavy varminter wears a Nikon in super high Leupold Mark 4 rings, the light varminter wears a Leupold Mark 4 in high warnes and my M4 flattop wears a Zeiss in Warne mediumrings on a riser. They are work but have different purpose. Your choice are almost endless.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Spike

I am asking the same question except my gun will be used primarily in low light conditions for coyote hunting and no issues with cost of glass. HELP ME OUT!!! PS. I have no questions about mounts just the glass.
ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Just today I bought this gun:

[align=center]
[/align]

[hr]

and I was wondering what glass I should put on top of it...This gun purchase alone has pretty much wiped out my discretionary gun/ scope money (perhaps for years to come...lol) so I'm definately looking to stay around the $250 range. I'd like to get some sort of ballistic plex and am leaning toward a 4.5-10 burris from cabelas bargain cave.

Dont know anything about how rings or bases work for an AR...if I have to get special ones or what not. I've never even handledan ARbefore but I know I wanted one (and I've heard good reports about rock river and this model in particular) before the new administration gives us all a new AWB.

Any input related to anything about these ARs and their "optics platforms" would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

low light conditions/night time id say go with a large objective and good glass...50mm+ on the objective lense...and keep magnification low...3 or 4x on the low end..mayyyyybe upto 6x on the low end but at night/low light, the lower power and larger objective will help you get the critter in the scope...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Billyzink

For low light I have 2 that I like alot, a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 with a German#4 and a Swarovski 1.5x6x42 also with a German #4. Both are tough as a cobb with 30mm tubes and have front focal planes. At the lowest power they transmit plenty light and the reticle is easy to pick up.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on my AR for night time use. I have many scopes that cost alot more $$$ than that Buckmaster, but it flat gets it done!