Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Am I cleaning my guns correctly?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Am I cleaning my guns correctly?

I've been using this Wipe Out stuff but this applies to anything like Hoppes 9 or anything really as I've used it a very little. Anyway, how much should you use? I've been getting the whole patch wet and running it through. Then doing a dry patch. My 30-06 even if you only shoot it 15 or 20 times takes forever to get completely clean. I mean over and over and over. I've used a ton of patches and it seems like I'm emptying the the bottle. During cleaning 3 guns it's not uncommon for me to use more than half the bottle. It gets it clean but it uses a lot of patches and a lot of the cleaning solution. I'd guess it's about a 12oz bottle but it doesn't say so I'm not sure. Might be 9oz or so. Not sure. Anyway, when I went back to get more after a month or two the guy acted like I was crazy for needing more. I'd used 2 bottles at that time. He acts like I shouldn't be using much at all. Am I using too much? I figure the whole patch needs to be wet or does it only need to be a drop? If it's a drop it seems like part of the patch running through the barrel would just be dry. I'm doing this over and over again. Sometimes I will do it several times in a row or sometimes I will do it then run a dry patch then this then a dry patch like that. Towards getting it fairly clean I run one of these then a dry patch over and over until both are spotless. I've got them to where they barely have any black on them but being the perfectionist I am I usually keep going until it's completely clean.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Am I cleaning my guns correctly?

When I clean my guns I use a slightly wet patch. Not like a drop but not completely soaked. I put the solution around the edges so when the patch folds back, the solution gets wiped on all of the barrel.

After that one I use a few dry ones. Then I repeat that process enough so when the patches go all the way through, they look almost new.

I don't think you need to use that much liquid stuff for cleaning your gun. That's just my way of doing it.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I'm testing out Hoppes 9 since I haven't used it much how long do you guys let it sit in the barrel? As in run a wet patch through how long do you wait before you run a dry patch through? Does cleaning guns need to be a several day process or can it just be a several hour process?

Seems like the Hoppes 9 is bringing out some black stuff on the patches where as it was coming out clean with the Wipe Out. I'm not sure if it's because I put a brush in the chamber to clean it slightly and it loosend up some or if it's just getting more stuff out.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Using the proper chemicals,patches and rod,cleaning a barrel is a several minute procedure.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you guys use the copper brushes & then the patches?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I send through a patch with solvent and wait 5 min.Then Idip my brush in the solvent and sent that through4-6 times. Then I sent through a dry patch and repeat this process until the patches are not discolored. I recently bought a gun that was very fouled. I had to take Hoppes Benchrest and let it sit overnightas it had alot of copper build up.She's now clean but it took some doing.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I rarely use brushes at all.With regular cleaning,I don't normally find them necessary.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had been using the wipe out brushless cleaner. Since using Hoppe's 9 I decided to use a brush. Anyway, I thought I had the barrels pretty clean now as they were coming out clean. I sprayed hoppes 9 on the brush then ran it through the barrel 5 or 6 times. Then I got a patch wet and ran it through the barrel. The first two or so were coming out really dirty. After 3 patches or so it started coming out clean again and appears clean. However, if I take the brush and run it through a few more times then put a patch through it the patch is pretty dirty again. Is the brush keep knocking more dirt loose? Do I keep doing this until it comes out clean even after brushing it or do I only brush it a few times then just run patches through until they come out clean? It just seems like after using the brush the patches are dirty afterwards no matter how many times I seem to be doing it. So do I keep doing it or do I just run the brush through and then run patches until they are clean then stop?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It just seems like after using the brush the patches are dirty afterwards no matter how many times I seem to be doing it. So do I keep doing it or do I just run the brush through and then run patches until they are clean then stop?
It is most likely that your brush is putting more residue back into the barrel after you have cleaned it.Once the patches are clean,don't use a brush.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

It just seems like after using the brush the patches are dirty afterwards no matter how many times I seem to be doing it. So do I keep doing it or do I just run the brush through and then run patches until they are clean then stop?
It is most likely that your brush is putting more residue back into the barrel after you have cleaned it.Once the patches are clean,don't use a brush.
So how many times should I do the brush? On one gun every time I ran the brush through the first patch through would come out looking black but the next one would be clean. It was like this every time I ran the brush through. The first one was always dirty and after that they were spotless. I did this several times. Then saw it wasn't getting any better so figured it must be the brush putting the black residue in there even though the brush looked clean.

On my other gun it's the same thing however, It's taking several patches after the brush to get it looking clean. I'm not sure that it's fully clean yet. I'm going to go back to it in a minute but it's mostly clean. Just the slightest bit on a patch. However if I run the brush through the next couple patches mainly the first come out looking horrible like the gun is super dirty. After that it's just a very small pieces of dirt on the patch. Hard to see unless you hold it in the light. So are these things clean? Should I stop using the brush? I've probably brushed them 5 times or more doing the brush about 5 times each time. Is this good enough? So after brushing it a few times should I just keep doing patches until they come out clean and then not worry about it?

Quick Reply: Am I cleaning my guns correctly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.