Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 RUM

Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .300 RUM

Any handloadsSHOULD be better than factory loads. That's why one takes the time to do it. However, the factory loads for a 300 RUM are not pathetically mild!Factory loads of a 30.06 compared to handloads of a 30.06 should not compare. Factory loads from a .243compared to handloads of a .243 should not compare.
Remington 180gr factory loads produced 3230fps in a friends factory 300ultramag rifle.The same rifle produces 3350fps with handloads with good brass life and no pressure signs.My 300wby produced 3250fps with factory loads.The same rifle will do no better with handloads without pressure signs.I have also seen 300wsm rifles that would produce as much velocity with factory loads as with any handloads.The Weathery factory loads,and those wsm loads are hot,by comparison,the 300ultramag loads are not.
My own 300ultramag rifles produce 3380fps with the 180gr tsx,and after five loadings,the primer pockets are still tight.
If I had to shoot factory loads,it would be either the 300win mag with the heavy magnum loads,or the 300wby.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Any handloadsSHOULD be better than factory loads. That's why one takes the time to do it. However, the factory loads for a 300 RUM are not pathetically mild!Factory loads of a 30.06 compared to handloads of a 30.06 should not compare. Factory loads from a .243compared to handloads of a .243 should not compare.
Remington 180gr factory loads produced 3230fps in a friends factory 300ultramag rifle.The same rifle produces 3350fps with handloads with good brass life and no pressure signs.My 300wby produced 3250fps with factory loads.The same rifle will do no better with handloads without pressure signs.I have also seen 300wsm rifles that would produce as much velocity with factory loads as with any handloads.The Weathery factory loads,and those wsm loads are hot,by comparison,the 300ultramag loads are not.
My own 300ultramag rifles produce 3380fps with the 180gr tsx,and after five loadings,the primer pockets are still tight.
If I had to shoot factory loads,it would be either the 300win mag with the heavy magnum loads,or the 300wby.
I'm not quite sure I understand your logic. You say that with factory loads, you'd use the win mag or the wby, but wouldn't choose the RUM because their factory loads are pathetically weak, even though they're hotter than the win mags and the equal of the wby. And, with the RUM, you have the added advantage of handloading to levels well beyond either of the other two. Why not choose the one with the most potent factory loads AND the most potential for a handloader?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not choose the one with the most potent factory loads AND the most potential for a handloader?
The most potent factory loads from my testing have been the 300 Weatherby loads.

Did you miss:

What good is handloading potential if one must use factory loads?If you must use factory loads,the 300wby is more efficient,and the high energy 300win mag loads aren't far behind,with even less recoil,and a much larger variety of factory loads.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well. I plan to handload eventually it is just about four years down the road still..
-Jake