Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 RUM

Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .300 RUM

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

Boca I would shy away from the 7mm if you already have an 06 as the High Energy a Light Magnum factory rounds match anything the 7mm Rem can do.

Once you get reloading you will be able to load the 300 UM for about the same cost as the 7mm. So I would choose the 300 RUM as long as you are sure you can handle the recoil. If you areonly hunting deer or smaller game and plan to reload asmaller caliber round like the257 Weatherby or 270 WSM might bea consideration.
This is a very good answer and I do not disagree. However, the recoil from a 300 RUM is not that bad if you add a muzzle brake. I'm not for sure which kicks harder, my 300 RUM or my 30.06 Abolt.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

What are you talking about? You must have just been using the Level I ammo, which duplicates .30-06 ballistics. Level II duplicates .300 Win Mag, and Level III ammo in the .300RUM is about 300 fps faster than the Win. and has an additional 700 ft lbs of muzzle energy. That's hardly "pathetically mild."
You can buy 180gr 300winmag loads by Hornady that are listed at 3100fps in a 24" barrel.Add another 80fps for a 26" barrel and you are at 3180fps,only 70fps behind the top 300ultra load that you posted.Almost any handloader can easily exceed 3300fps with 180gr bullets in the 300ultramag,and many people are exceeding 3350fps with good brass life and no pressure signs.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boca I would shy away from the 7mm if you already have an 06 as the High Energy a Light Magnum factory rounds match anything the 7mm Rem can do.
And Hornady has Heavy Magnum 7mmremmag loads that offer the same velocity increase for the 7mmremmag.Comparing the Light Magnum 30-06 load to the Heavy Magnum 7mmremmag load,the 7mm remmag still offers superior ballistics.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:01 PM

I'm also looking at a 300 RUM.

I shoot Hornady 165 Gr Interbond Light Magnum rounds in my 30-06 now. If my gun is sighted in at 200 yards the bullet will drop 6.6 inches at 300 yards. 19.3 inches at 400 yards. Then it goes to hell.

I can make some pretty far shots with the 06. But Id feel more confident with something shooting farther, flatter and hit harder.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot Hornady 165 Gr Interbond Light Magnum rounds in my 30-06 now. If my gun is sighted in at 200 yards the bullet will drop 6.6 inches at 300 yards. 19.3 inches at 400 yards. Then it goes to hell.
Are those numbers from a published chart,or are they numbers you measured from actually shooting that load in your gun.When you start shooting at longer ranges,you need to stop trusting charts,and measure the actual trajectory with your loads in your gun.At longer distances,the differences can be significant.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not to worried about the recoil. Been shooting my whole life...since I was four anyway. Grew up on guns and was taught how to get a trigger to "surprise" me everytime. And I'm hoping to eventually shoot long range at game, mostly whitetail but Elk and other "bigger game" will hopefully be in the plans too.
-Jake
Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM

Are those numbers from a published chart,or are they numbers you measured from actually shooting that load in your gun.When you start shooting at longer ranges,you need to stop trusting charts,and measure the actual trajectory with your loads in your gun.At longer distances,the differences can be significant.
Those are just off the chart. I should have been more specific and said "according to Hornady."

I just got the Light Magnums before the season stated so all I did was shoot the gun in for the new round and make the adjustment on my scope. Before I had been using 150 grain Interbonds so this was kinda just an upgrade.

I'm going out this coming weekend to see what they'll do though

Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are just off the chart. I should have been more specific and said "according to Hornady."
A surprising amount of people never bother to actually shoot their load in their rifle ever at longer distance targets.They just find a trajectory chart,sight in the gun accordingly,and hope for the best.These people often miss shots at longer ranges while hunting,and some still never bother to check the actual trajectory at longer ranges by actually shooting longer range targets.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

If you don't handload,the 300ultramag is not worth owning,as the factory loads are pathetically mild.You would be far better off with a 300winmag.
Any handloadsSHOULD be better than factory loads. That's why one takes the time to do it. However, the factory loads for a 300 RUM are not pathetically mild!Factory loads of a 30.06 compared to handloads of a 30.06 should not compare. Factory loads from a .243compared to handloads of a .243 should not compare. Whenyou compare factory loads from a 30.06 to factory loads from a 300 RUM there will also be no comparison. If you don't hand load, you will still be very happy with a 300RUM. If you start reloading, you will be even happier!
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. i'd love to handload, and I have two uncles that do it all the time so i have learned some stuff, but as a freshman in college, it'll be at least four years till I really have a place to set it up or really have the money to spend for everything I need to get going. I have been saving for a LR rig for a while tho, so I wanna get set up and just work with factory loads for a while! thanks for all the great info!
-Jake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.