Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Supreme of Federal Premium???

Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Supreme of Federal Premium???

Which one do you prefer? Both have the bullet and bullet weight I want to shoot.(Accubond) I am currently using the Win. supreme but I think the black lubelox coating takes forever to clean. If you like the Win. better then do you have any cleaning tipt. Solvent????
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Supreme of Federal Premium???

Shoot neither myself but would shoot the one that my particualr firearm shot the best.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

That one.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHulion

Which one do you prefer? Both have the bullet and bullet weight I want to shoot.(Accubond) I am currently using the Win. supreme but I think the black lubelox coating takes forever to clean. If you like the Win. better then do you have any cleaning tipt. Solvent????
i shoot the winchester supreme accubond .180 gr..with my a-bolt ..300wsm ..and have no problem at all cleaning it ..black lubelox coating come out easy but i have a stainless steel barrel ..
Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive gotten away from the winchester just because of the coating....i couldnt figure out why the mauser started shooting worse and worse as time went on....thought my bore was finally finished(seen battle time)

actually LOOKED like my bore was finished...looked like the grooves were about gone...lands were barely visible...

scrubbed the heck out of it on a hunch...and used the foaming bore cleaner solvent in it for the first time.....sure enough, shot clover leafed for me again!!! i always tried scrubbing and solvents in the bore but knew i wasnt getting that stuff out.....even my foaming bore cleaner took 2 or 3 runs....which is odd....i can get BAD copper out in 1-2x with the foaming cleaner from my 22-250...

went to hornady SST ammo this year....love ballistic tips, but wasnt paying for them or winchesters....the SSTs performed well and shot excellent....dont know why federal and winchester both wanted an arm and both legs this year....somethin like 40$ or more for a box of 3006 ammo....i think i got the SSTs for 26 lol....the SSTs are pretty much very similar to ballistic tips...only place that may differ is real long range, where ballistic tip accuracy usually shines....but, hornady bullets have been getting good reviews...i just havent tested them....im going to try some hornadys from the 22-250 soon
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I also shoot the Hornady SST in my 308. I love that bullet. The only thing is Hornady doesn't make any WSM ammo. I have both a 270 wsm AND A 300wsm. I am shooting the 140gr. Accubond in the 270 and the 180gr. in the 300. I have also thought about going to the Nosler partition that Fedaral has in both callibers. Just wondering whick one everyone likes best (Winchester or Federal). I guess I'm not really sold on the Lubalox. Anybody else have any suggestions.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Federal Premium loads are my preference, but again it is my preference based on what my rifles like.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow didnt realize hornady didnt make short mag ammo....not even their custom line?

i dont know if the lubalox is the same stuff as moly or not...i know some guys swear by moly...others swear AT it lol....

like i said, im not a fan....didnt shoot any better and i believe it fouled up bad and made it and everything else shoot poorly...and i tried a couple solvents and brushings etc....though, the foaming cleaner seemed to do OK...love that stuff! best thing since sliced bread IMO!! its like magic...doesnt even smell! spray it...come back 15-20mins later and swab it clean and dry....no more fouling! unless its REALLY bad...

id say get a box of each and test it...see what your rifle likes.....though, they are the same bullets...1 coated and 1 not....

the silver shells is why i choose the winchesters when i shot them! lol
Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I use both types of ammo in my Savage M110 7mm Remington Magnum.

Winchester Supreme 150 grain Ballistic Silvertips for deer at medium-long range...(a little bit violent up close, inside 50 yards or so) consistently prints near 1/2 MOA groups...have not had an issue with the coating...use Break Free and Hoppe's nitro solvent with a brass brush and one piece rod...

Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partition for deer at close-medium range or elk/black bear...prints 3/4 MOA groups consistently...a better bullet for larger game animals.

I always aim for the point of the shoulder (break bones) and have never had a deerto take more than a step when hit there, with either load.