Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

An odd problem to have. Anyone been there?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: An odd problem to have. Anyone been there?

I don't claim to be a great shotgunner but in going through something similar with my old friend (Browning BPS) and new one (Beretta White Onyx) I can tell you without a doubt that stock fit has a whole bunch to do with how well you shoot the gun.

LOP, Cast, Drop, etc.... can have marked effects on your ability to shoot a particular shotgun well.

My advise would be to find a good stock fitter. Go there with your Win and your Browning and let him take a look at both. Chances are that the Win, for whatever reason, fits you better than the Browning. To fix it, he can adjust the stock on the Browning to fit you properly as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

We all agree that "fit" is one of the most important aspects of your ability to hit what you're looking at consistantly. Try this..... with your eyes closed, mount one of the guns to your shoulder. Do it fairly quickly, as if you were in a hunting situation. Hold the gun steady and open your eyes. Notice how much of the rib you see. Now, do the same thing with the other gun. If you are seeing noticeably more rib with one or the other, it will cause you to shoot OVER your target. For example...If you're seeing a sight picture that looks like you are looking down a runway vs. seeing nothing but a short bit of rib to the bead the height of the comb is most likely a problem, I feel. Shooting a gun that gives you a lot of view of the rib will generally cause you to shoot over everything, as I mentioned before. Therefore, you have to shoot a little under to hit. A lot of trapshooters desire this feature in their guns, as they feel they can get a better view of the bird. That's fine for them, but not real good in a hunting situation. The gun that shoulders for you with you getting minimal rib view to the bead will break birds with a dead-on hold on straight-aways. Good hunting set-up. You shoot where you look. Another thing to remember is to try to always keep your cheek glued to the stock when shooting. Lots of people have a tendency to lift their head at the shot to see if they hit. Causes a miss everytime.
Check this out and see what you find.............. Don
Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Great advise. I know one of you other fellas suggested I do that as well.

I did and here's what I came up with:

With the Citori, I consistantly only see the bead. It's shoulders so nicely, and the same for me everytime. With the SX3 (which I shoot better) I see a good amount of the rib. Just for kicks, I grabbed my ole trustly Winchester Model 1300 pump (I've had it for 19 years, and learned how to shoot clays with it) and it is really damn close to the samepicture I see with the SX3, I see a good portion of the rib.

I guess since the SX3 is so much like the gun I learned on, it's more of a natural fit for me,

SO,the way I see it,Ishouldtake my Citori and raise the stock a little.

Agree?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Great advise. I know one of you other fellas suggested I do that as well.

I did and here's what I came up with:

With the Citori, I consistantly only see the bead. It's shoulders so nicely, and the same for me everytime. With the SX3 (which I shoot better) I see a good amount of the rib. Just for kicks, I grabbed my ole trustly Winchester Model 1300 pump (I've had it for 19 years, and learned how to shoot clays with it) and it is really damn close to the samepicture I see with the SX3, I see a good portion of the rib.

I guess since the SX3 is so much like the gun I learned on, it's more of a natural fit for me,

SO,the way I see it,Ishouldtake my Citori and raise the stock a little.

Agree?

I would say that's most likely correct. What I'd advise you to try first is get some moleskin or somethind else soft with an adhesive backing and build up the comb of the stock some. A lot of shooters use it for just this purpose. put on successive layers, or maybe only one is needed until you are seeing tha amount of rib that suits you best. You will only need it where you cheek locks to the stock. Take that out and try it before you do any stock adjustments or replacements. Ifyou can find some thick 1" wide black rubber electrical tape, you could try that also. Adhesive on one side only. This should tell you fairly quickly and easily if you have helped the problem. It will give you a good idea how much to change th comb height. Hope this helps...........Don
Old 01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me the fit of the Browning stock is slightly low for you. there's 2 ways to solve this, and it may require 1 or both. With shotguns, fit is EVERYTHING. You can get a stick on cheekpiece that will raise your cheek up slightly-thus giving you better, higher view of the rib. Or you can install an adjustable recoil pad, which will adjust lower than your actual stock so that when you shoulder it, the whole stock will be higher than the pad. The 1st remedy will be better if your comb itself is too low. As Pawildman stated it will raise comb/cheek height for better fit and offer improved sight picture of the rib. Don't worry about it as I'm POSITIVE 1 of the stick-on rubber/foam cheekpieces WILL help fit and aid you greatly in ability to bust clays.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have been given good advice. Another option besides moleskin, and an adjustable recoil pad would to be have a stock made to your dimensions, or having an adjustable cheek piece installed on your stock.
Good luck.

colorado; Thanks man, just wasn't sure where you were coming from.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Sounds like you have been given good advice.
I absolutely agree!

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

This may not be such an odd problem. Ever notice in the American Rifleman, when they write up a shotgun evaluation, they show the "point of hold" vs where a gun centers its patterns? Often the pattern centers are quite a ways from the point of hold on the patterning board and both barrels often don't throw their patterns to the same spot?

I assume you have patterned the Citori, and know where it throws its pattern centers in relation to your front bead/barrel rib; and that the gun/stock fits you correctly? If not, I would try to see how the O/U patterns compared to the Super X3. This may be a gun/stock fit problem. How much easier is it for you to get pattern center hits in the correct place using the X3 vs the Browning? When you cheek the guns, is there a great difference betweenwhere the twopoint?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure and let us know if and how much you improve after trying our suggestions. I'm positive it's not the gun's fault or your fault-just your fit to it.