Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you...

Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you...

I like triggers to break at no more than 3-3.5# pull weight.So I adjust the ones that need it.

For a hunting rifle, I much prefer a good double-set trigger, if available. But I have no use for single-set triggers however, since they are prone to slip and discharge the gun too easily, when setting them under field conditions.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture of my before and after.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's part of standard procedure for me to rework triggers of any rifles I buy/trade for and havn't built myself. I wouldn't think of having ANY firearm that don't perform to it's utmost capability.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the action, scope, bedding and even the barrel are not as crucial to accuracy, as the trigger. The ammo is the only thing IMO that will have a greater affect on your groups.

also overtravel or "creep" is more important than weight IMO. I'd rather have a 6lb ,crisp trigger pull than a 3lb mushy trigger. Watch your finger as you pull the trigger, if the trigger moves before the hammer drops, you have too much creep in your trigger.

I have a rem 700 w/ a RIFLE BASIX drop in trigger. Cost about 90$ & took me 30 min to instal ,but a factory 700 trigger (preXPRO) can be user adjusted to be pretty good too. I also have 2 ACCUTRIGGER savages, set around 3lbs and break like glass. All very accurate "hunting" rifles.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

Life is too short to be shooting a crappy trigger. I adjust my own on remington 700's. Sakos don't need too much done to them. And I installed my own 10/22 trigger, and Marlin 1895. Only triggers I haven't been able to do anything with is Remington 7400's and browning gold sluggun. I like 2.5-3lb crisp trigger.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

About 3lbs for my hunting stuff. Big differences in consistency and group size.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

IMO the action, scope, bedding and even the barrel are not as crucial to accuracy, as the trigger. The ammo is the only thing IMO that will have a greater affect on your groups.

also overtravel or "creep" is more important than weight IMO. I'd rather have a 6lb ,crisp trigger pull than a 3lb mushy trigger. Watch your finger as you pull the trigger, if the trigger moves before the hammer drops, you have too much creep in your trigger.

My thoughts exactly X2

Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 AM

I agree with deerandbearhog. I can stand a heavy triggera lot more than a creepy trigger. A good trigger is very helpful for longer range shooting. It has to do with the whole arguement about how accurate does your hunting rifle really need to be. Clearly a 2 moa shooter is fine for most people. I live in eastern nc, flat farm land here for as far as you can see. I limit my shots to 300 yds but 2 moa is not acceptable to me at that distance. Your 2 inch group is now 6 inches, but your 1 inch group is only 3". I need a good trigger hear.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My M-77 that I bought in 1980 was adjusted to 2 1/2 pounds before I brought it home with me...
I adjust the Remington 700s myself that my family/buddies bring to me to set up, it's fairly simple...
Most of these I set at 3-3 1/2 pounds...

This is one of the advantages of a bolt action over a semi, the triggers can be tuned...

I hate a heavy trigger with creep, can't put up with it...
Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

All my triggers are modified to 3-3.5#. The creep level is equally as important. I have done the before and after comparison and the groupings are like night and day.A good trigger is essentialto good shooting form especially with a scope...hunting or competitive shooting.Why would you want to deal with a 6-8 lb trigger pull when you have the crosshairs on an animal andare dealing with high adrenalin, buck fever,etc? My point here is to reduce thevariables that are responsible for inconsistent shooting. As I speak I have a 7600 Rem in the shop to modify a creepy 7.5# trigger to 3.0#. I am certain when I do the after comparison I will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards vs the 2.5" group I shot last week. Either grouping will kill adeer but I want to reduce my variables to increase my success rate.

Quick Reply: I am curious about your rifle triggers. Do you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.