Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

controlled/push round feeding

Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: controlled/push round feeding

Let me throw another issue out on the topic.....CRF actions cannot totally enclose the case head....push feeds can.....and to a great degree do in many cases.....the Rem 700 and M-70 both do a good job of controlling the possible rupture of the case head....the Rem 700 is possibly the best at it!....but far and away the push feeds do it far better than the CRFs.....

If something goes seriously wrong.....(and it happens)....I'd far rather be shooting a push feed action as the ruptured case will be contained in steel before it is allowed to expand the inner ring of the action!.....resulting in a blown up action.....and potential injury.

I, personally, would never own or build a varmint rifle on a CRF action as these actions are fed the greatest pressured rounds.....and the most reloaded rounds...and are less capable of containing a serious mistake.....and it happens!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If something goes seriously wrong.....(and it happens)....I'd far rather be shooting a push feed action as the ruptured case will be contained in steel before it is allowed to expand the inner ring of the action!.....resulting in a blown up action.....and potential injury.
Mauser 98 actions are built to vent gases away from the shooter in such an event.
A lot of people put a Sako or AR-15 type extractor on remington bolts in order to get a strong positive extraction as with a Mauser, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of Remington '3 rings of steel' bolt/action system.

Really, the argument between crf and pf rifles is moot, they are all about as strong (limited by the strength of steel), extraction is positive on both (though there are problems with Remington's extractor in magnum cases), feeding is reliable in both (with the problems associated with crf being attributed to novice gunsmiths, accuracy is similar (I've heard of PF rifles being more accurate, but that might be attributable to the inherent accuracy of remington 700s (they have things in them too that hurt accuracy such as the ejector putting constant pressure on the case rim, but short of a benchrest shooter, you'll never know the difference it will make).
Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Push feed rifles work just fine for any purpose I've ever used them for. I have no personal preference between the 2 except that my favorite action, Browning A-bolt,is push feed. I've built many more controlled 98 style rifles than push feed except for my personal rifles.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had several of both and see no benefit to either but as a whole push feeds wer more accurate. Maybe the design maybe the rifle itself.

As a test I took every push feed Remington I own and cycled them upside down. All fed perfectly and none dropped a round.