Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What would you choose

Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default What would you choose

I am not sure why but I always like a combination of options that are not available. Being left handed makes this more likely but at this moment I cannot find a gun that meets all my desires so if you will please let me know what you would pick given what I describe below.

The guns I have considered are Tikka, Savage, Browning and Ruger. I looked at the models in stainless with a synthetic stock and want to keep the cost down in the sub 800 dollar range.

I like the Tikka but I do not like that you need to take the safety off to unload. I like having a clip, I like its accuracy and adjustable trigger. I plan on replacing stock with a laminated stock and it seems it is harder to find for this brand.

A lot of people here suggest Savage. What I do not like is that they do not have a clip for the 7 mm Rem Mag. I think the safety can be engaged when unloading.

Ruger I am certain has a safety that can be engaged when unloading and locks down the bolt. My Remington does not lock down the bolt and I have resorted to using a rubber hoop from a bike tire to hold it down when walking through the woods. The new trigger is better but I like the idea of having a quality trigger although I currently use a Remington so it is more a believe than something I have experienced. I have also read that they are not as accurate as some of the others. one of the big pluses is they can be had in left hand, stainless with a laminated stock. None of the others have this option.

Browning, soundslike it is a very good gun but again you need to have the safety in the fire position to unload. It is a small point but it is one thing I do not like with my weatherby.

The synthetic stock is not a great issue as I plan to replace it but if you have a view that the synthetic stock of one of the brands I listed above is what you would consider excellent tell me so.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you choose

Browning, soundslike it is a very good gun but again you need to have the safety in the fire position to unload.
With the Browning XBolt you can unload and still have the safety on.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

I am Lefthanded too. I have Savage Weather Series, Model 16. The saftey thing is not an issue for me. Are you set on 7mm mag? I know the .300WSM has a clip option and so does the .270 and a couple others.

What won me over on the savage, was the weight and the accu trigger. I love the fact the rifle is super light and the accu trigger is amazing. I love it. I have a .300WSM and I abuse my gun taking it to god awful places where the weather is brutal and the gun still looks new and its 5 or 6 years old. It also shoots just about any bullet well. Im shooting quarter size groups at 200yrds only using a backpack as a rest.

All the guns are great options, but for the price i love the savage.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Spike

I like the 7mm Rem Mag because I already have one so I would be able to use the same ammo in the new gun as well as the older one so my son can use it. I considered the 7mm WSM but there does not seem to be as many options when it comes to bullets both in type and manufacturer. I am thinking that Savage fits the bill the most and might just accept the bullets it has available. I think the literature says that it can be unloaded with the safe on but I am not sure. I know the price is right and its reputation as an accurate gun is good enough for me. I am not going to be shooting it 400 yards so I do not think it would be any worse than my Remington which is good enough to feel sure I can kill a deer if I can get the cross hairs on it.

I will have to look at the X bolt but I wonder if it comes in left handed. Also Browning is a bit more expensive so changing the stock puts me in the price range where I can consider a Weatherby which in my experience is a great shooting gun.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Savage also. Yes you can load and unload without taking the safety off. If the clip is that big of a deal for you then call Savage up and have them set it up for you. I dare say the Savage just might outshoot your Remington.