Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Death Stats

Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Default Gun Death Stats

After reading a long thread on one of the forums, I began to wonder which type (handgun, rifle, shotgun) of firearm and which caliber is most often usedin crimes resulting in death. The originator of the thread was talking about using a 22 Mag for home defense for various reasons. The responders overwhelmingly were against this, for different logical reasons. Both sides had their points. From my point of view I believe any criminal will change his thought process after being shot or shot at regardless of the caliber. Of course, some are "doped" up and hardly anything will stop them. I have already checked the FBI's web page and could not find the information I am looking for. I work in Law Enforcement and have never been shot at, that I know of, but I am curious as to what firearm criminals are using the most. If anyone knows of a website that lists the information, please pass it along.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Death Stats

ORIGINAL: cariopd1069

After reading a long thread on one of the forums, I began to wonder which type (handgun, rifle, shotgun) of firearm and which caliber is most often usedin crimes resulting in death. The originator of the thread was talking about using a 22 Mag for home defense for various reasons. The responders overwhelmingly were against this, for different logical reasons. Both sides had their points. From my point of view I believe any criminal will change his thought process after being shot or shot at regardless of the caliber. Of course, some are "doped" up and hardly anything will stop them. I have already checked the FBI's web page and could not find the information I am looking for. I work in Law Enforcement and have never been shot at, that I know of, but I am curious as to what firearm criminals are using the most. If anyone knows of a website that lists the information, please pass it along.
I believe one-handguns (pistols & revolvers) still are the leading misused firearms. Even so, less that 1/10th of one percent of handgunsin the private sector are ever used in crimes. So, contrary to popular misconception, the widespread ownership of handguns is NOT a significant factor in crime in this country. People who use firearms for criminal purposes are generally those who already have a criminal record. The anti's say people are moare apt to shoot a friend or relative. But what you don't hear them say is that criminals generally have acquaintences and families..........

No-one WANTS to be shot, not even with a B-B pistol. Career criminals are very much in favor of gun control, because it means that YOU are less likely to be armed when they come a'callin', (and most criminals ignore the law! That tendency iswhat distinguishes them as a class......)
Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a crock about .22magnum as being adequate for defense. IF you have legal justifible reason for using deadly force in defense situation,the criminal ALREADY has a weapon and is threatening or shooting at you so you want the biggest gun you can handle/shoot effectively. Sure,nobody wants to get shot with anything BUT I want him to stop all further agression RIGHT NOW-NOT sometime later when he goes into shock or from blood loss. It's mighty easy for armchair experts or ballistic studyiers to argue about smaller calibers but trust me-once you have seen combat or have actually been in defense situation that resulted in deadly force used,you too will opt for the biggest gun you can shoot GOOD too as in those type situations,ANY gun feels kind of puny-must be same feeling as charging animals (which I havn't experienced-TG).

ORIGINAL: cariopd1069
The originator of the thread was talking about using a 22 Mag for home defense for various reasons. The responders overwhelmingly were against this, for different logical reasons. Both sides had their points. From my point of view I believe any criminal will change his thought process after being shot or shot at regardless of the caliber. Of course, some are "doped" up and hardly anything will stop them.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well I'm from the school of thought that the number one rule in surviving a gun fight is "have a gun". So if it was a choice between 22 mag or nothing I'm taking the .22 mag. Most home defense situations are stopped without a shot being fired, someone breaking into a house isn't looking for a gunfight they are looking for a victim. If you point a pistol at them chances are they aren't going to stick around long enough to determine if its a pellet gun or a .44 magnum. The second rule of a gunfight is that if you need to shoot someone, you better be able to hit them where you are aiming. as Col. Cooper used to say "a .22 in the tear duct is much more decisive then a 9mm in the wishbone." To answer the original question the gun most often used in crime I think would be the "saturday night special" small revolvers. They are short, cheap, and easily concealable which makes them the best option for criminals (which is why they are often demonized...unfortunately these same features make them great self defense guns).
Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

handguns commit the overwhelming number of viloent crimes....I do know....ie gang bangers.

I saw on 20/20 a pool is more dangerous than a loaded gun in your house....fun fact btw!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I was not endorsing any caliber as a "home defense weapon". What I was trying to find out are statistics on which gun is used most often in crimes. Maybe I did not word my thread clearly. The FBI's web site has a lot of facts and figures, but I could not find one dealing with a particular type or caliber. I will say that we take in to custody more small revolvers than semi-autos from offenders. Most are old. If we do take a semi-auto, it isnot a popular,such as a S&W, Ruger, etc.make, of course even an unkown brand cankill you. We take mostly 9s, 25s, and 22s in that order.