Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the Weatherby Vanguard just another Howa

Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is the Weatherby Vanguard just another Howa

You no I here all the time the Vanguard is just another Howa.
I know the Vanguard is made by Howa in Japan and they share the Howa 1500 action but that is it. And the action on the Vanguard is fluted and to me the action on the vanguard is smoother working also. And Weatherby uses their own barrels not Howa barrels, Next if you go to a Weatherby Dealer and check the trigger on the Vanguard now, I am not talking the old trigger you will see the Vanguard trigger has a much nicer pull than the Howa.(weatherby has did there home work there about time), so to me what I am asking here is the people I here all the time trying to tell people the Vanguard is the same as a Howa are they right yes on no? To me they are not it takes more than just the action to make a rifle.

And to me what makes a Vanguard a Weatherby is the walnut stocks. I have never seen a Howa look as good as the Vanguard Deluxe or the Sporter SS.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is the Weatherby Vanguard just another Howa

The answer to this is NO they are not one and the same.
Is a custom Rifle using a Remington 700 action just another Remington no it is not so how can people say the Vanguard is just another HOWA.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

True but I would take a HOWA over a Vangaurd anyday for accuracy.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 AM

Ive had occasion to fire a few of each brand, and bang for the buck either one of 'em is strong as new rope within their respective categories/classes. You can't go wrong either way. But to say they are one in the same is like saying an M3 is just another 3-series BMW (hopefully some of you are car people and get that analogy lol) If the wood is your primary concern in the deal, goes without saying the Vanguard Dlx or Sporter SS would be a big step up. As well, I love the accuracy guarantee of the Sub-MOA. Ive fired 3 of those, a 7mm Mag, a 300 Win Mag and a 22-250 Varmint and all three were MORE than within that accuracy spec with factory ammo.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

True but I would take a HOWA over a Vangaurd anyday for accuracy.
Really? I'm going to have to get me a Howa then (my poor wife just THINKS she's getting something for Christmas ). I've been VERY impressed with the accuracy of my cheap Wal-Mart Vanguard. If the Howa's even better? ..... Imagine the possibilities.....

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

the howa is the same identicle action as the van guard, howa makes the van guards for weatherby, is the finish and quality control the same? well hafta talk to someone who makes them to find out.
RR
+1
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

the howa is the same identicle action as the van guard, howa makes the van guards for weatherby, is the finish and quality control the same? well hafta talk to someone who makes them to find out.
RR
We no they are the same action that was not the question here. The Question is why do so many people look to them as being the same rifle? They are not, like you said they use the same action but does that mean they are the same rifle NO it does not.
The FNH, FN PBR XP. uses a Winchester model 70 action does that mean the FNH is just another Model 70. And FNH makes them both. But they are not the same rifle.

And the barrels that go on the Vanguard are not the same barrels that go on the HOWA. The same as the FNH and the Model 70.use the same action but not the same barrels. Does that mean they are the same rifle No it does not.
Like what cooper said is a custom Rifle using a Remington 700 action just another Remington no it is not so how can people say the Vanguard is just another HOWA.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Having owned both,and fired several of each,I find the accuracy,trigger,and fit and finish pretty much equal.Some Vanguards do come with fancier stocks,but that doesn't make them function any better.The simple fact is that many people are willing to spend the extra money just to say that they own a Weatherby.If it makes you feel better,then go ahead,it's your money.