Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A Bolt ?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Browning A Bolt ?

What is the difference between a first generation A Bolt rifle and a A Bolt II rifle? Am looking at buying what is described as a "first generation" A Bolt. Thanks very much.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Default RE: Browning A Bolt ?

This may not be the correct technical terminology but
the A-bolt IIhas a flat side bolt shroud while the 1st generation does not. Other than that I think they are the same rifle. At least I can't tell any difference and I own both
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks very much. Any other comments out there?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the only difference is that the older models have small flutes in bolt while a-bolt 2 has the full length bolt shrould. I have both and cannot tell any difference in accuracy between the 2 and the bolt on the old 1s is still plenty smooth,abiet with a tiny amount of play but NOWHERE near the amount of most bolt action and especially mauser based actions.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM

MY uncle had 1 that he was shooting the other dar at my house, it was a tack driver out to 100 yards.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM

While Ive pulled the trigger on too few 1st Gen's to comment, I have heard from people I trust that the 2nd gen tended, overall, to have an accuracy edge. My experiance with the A-Bolt II has been superlative. Virtually every gun would do under 1" with at least one out of three factory loads. And a few were much, much better. Having sighted in guns for gun shops Ive worked at/managed over the years has afforded me the opportunity to play with quite a few of them in a broad range of calibers. Ive never owned one, but I certainly would.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see others that like a-bolts almost as much as I do.I like the action so much,I seek out 2nd hand rifles when reasonably priced to strip actionfor use as basis in building custom rifles. Of factory a-bolts,in general they are great shooters.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I owned an A-bolt stainless stalker in 7mm remmag and found it to be quite accurate,however,I hated the tang safety,and the abortion of a magazine system.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck-the tang safety location is 1 of the thingsI like best bout it. Why don't you like the safety to lie directly under thumb without having to remove natural grip to manipulate safety on right side? to each his own I guess.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why don't you like the safety to lie directly under thumb without having to remove natural grip to manipulate safety on right side?
I have experienced a tang safety freezing in freezing rain.Even snow can be a problem with some designs.

Quick Reply: Browning A Bolt ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.