Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7-08 ballistically equal to 30-06?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7-08 ballistically equal to 30-06?

I went to hornadys site and checked the ballistics for .308 165gr spitzer and .284 140 gr spitzers. They are almost identical in BC and sectional density. Most factory loads for the 30 06 and the 7 08, are about 2800fps for both these weights. Aside from the slighty larger frontal area of the 30, in terms of a terminal performance, they should be equal ,right? What do you think?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 7-08 ballistically equal to 30-06?

NO - I havetwo 7-08s and a couple'06s among other chamberings. The 7-08 is a fine deer cartridge no doubt. But it is not a 30-06. The old '06 will run circles around the smaller 7. Especially with a 180 gr bullet.
The 7-08 is closer ballistically to the 270 but still a bit lacking. I like the 7-08 don't get me wrong. I just isn't as potent or as versitile as the good old '06.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

NO - I havetwo 7-08s and a couple'06s among other chamberings. The 7-08 is a fine deer cartridge no doubt. But it is not a 30-06. The old '06 will run circles around the smaller 7. Especially with a 180 gr bullet.
The 7-08 is closer ballistically to the 270 but still a bit lacking. I like the 7-08 don't get me wrong. I just isn't as potent or as versitile as the good old '06.
Thanks for the input bronko, but I think you misunderstood my question. I'm aware that the 3006 has a higher overall power capability and versatilty but I'm comparing the 140 gr 7-08 & the 165gr 3006, specifically, since both are equal in sectional density (weight x diameter) ballistic coefficient and velocity. Basically, what Im saying is the 140gr 708 is a scaled down version of the 165gr 30 06 , right?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Friend, its a bit more complicated than just looking at the numbers. These two bullets may fly the same (I haven't looked at the ballistics but I will take your word for it.) but its what happens when it get there too. The larger diameter .308 bullet has more frontal mass so it is initially going to creat greater havoc on whatever it hit tissue wise. It is heavier so it is going to penetrate deeper (provided both bullets are equally constructed) and the expansion diameter will be greater.
All this boils down to is more tissue damage resulting in more shock.
And if a marginal hit is made the 308 diameter bullet has a better shot (no pun intended) of killing the animal quicker.
Now I am no ballistician but I shot quite a few animals with different chamberings to have at least a pretty good feel for this topic.
IMO - Paper ballistics are great but they don't really tell the whole story.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friend, its a bit more complicated than just looking at the numbers. These two bullets may fly the same (I haven't looked at the ballistics but I will take your word for it.) but its what happens when it get there too. The larger diameter .308 bullet has more frontal mass so it is initially going to creat greater havoc on whatever it hit tissue wise. Its heavier so it's going to penetrate deeper (provided both bullets are equally constructed) and the expansion diameter will be greater.
And if a marginal hit is made the 308 diameter bullet has a better shot (no pun intended) of killing the animal quicker.
Now I am no ballistician but I shot quite a few animals with different chamberings to have at least a pretty good feel for this topic.
Actually, I believe sectional density plays a bigger role than weight ,in penetration , but Im no ballistician either. Since I am comparing equal SD of both bullets ,I guess the point is moot, though. Yeah, I was just playing w/ the numbers out of curiosity, wasnt planning any elk trips with the 7-08 ,although I think it would be sufficient with proper bullet selection and shot placement. I think the comparison is interesting though, no?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would that not put the 7-08 with 140's about 100 fps faster than the .308 Win with 165's? Of course I'm assuming you are talking factory ammo here/
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

AS far is in flight ballistics goes... yes, they are very near identical. With the 140 grain 7mm-08 having a very slight edge to the 165 30-06 (assuming the same bullets are being fired).

As far as terminal performance goes the same bullets should penetrate about equally from the two but the 30 caliber bullet will create a larger perminantwound channel, transfer more energy to the animal, and do more damage internally to the animal.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

Would that not put the 7-08 with 140's about 100 fps faster than the .308 Win with 165's? Of course I'm assuming you are talking factory ammo here/
Yes I was comparing typical factory loads ,however I was comparing the 7 08 to the 30 06 not 308win. the "308" I was referring to was hornady's 308 cal. bullets.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Friend, its a bit more complicated than just looking at the numbers. These two bullets may fly the same (I haven't looked at the ballistics but I will take your word for it.) but its what happens when it get there too. The larger diameter .308 bullet has more frontal mass so it is initially going to creat greater havoc on whatever it hit tissue wise. Its heavier so it's going to penetrate deeper (provided both bullets are equally constructed) and the expansion diameter will be greater.
Actually, I believe sectional density plays a bigger role than weight ,in penetration , but Im no ballistician either. Since I am comparing equal SD of both bullets ,I guess the point is moot, though. Yeah, I was just playing w/ the numbers out of curiosity, wasnt planning any elk trips with the 7-08 ,although I think it would be sufficient with proper bullet selection and shot placement. I think the comparison is interesting though, no?
What I have studied about ballistic, yes and no sectional density plays a big role as far as flight and the start of penetration, but so does weight, but weight comes in to play more after penetration has started. Weight is what keeps the bullet going after penetration has started.
So is Sectional Density more important than Weight no.
Sectional Density and Weigh is equal When it comes to Ballistic they play just as important of a roll.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think ballistics are fine as a general guide but as far as killing power goes I defy anyone to tell me which cartridge was used by the reaction of game when shot.The 7-08 will do anything the 06 will.

Quick Reply: 7-08 ballistically equal to 30-06?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.