Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Shell pickup

Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shotgun Shell pickup

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

I would think that something like a tow behind or push type lawn sweeper would do a pretty nice job of picking up shells at a trap or skeet range.
All of that goes out the window as soon as the grass length gets up over about 3 1/2 or 4".
Isn't there already something like that...
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM

They already sell devices that are ment to clean up hulls. They dont work too bad as long as the grass is short. They have them advertized in a lot of clays magazines
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Why not just build so to speak, a tank under neath the shooting forms where you could open up little drop holes and just sweep the shells into the tank?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 PM

We have looked at devices like this and Joe shoots at his club very often. At his club they have one of these devices and he says that they never use it because it is not very effective. I know this could mean that the product ischeap andpoorly made but it still cost around $400. I realize there are solutions out there but there are very few things that do not have a solution. We are just looking to make a better solution.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

convince the shotshell manufacturers to put a bit of steel in the brass to pick them up w/ a magnet.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Having steel in the end of the shell would be useful but it is highly unlikely that the companies would do this. Using a magnet is also limited to how big / strong the magnet is.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

convince the shotshell manufacturers to put a bit of steel in the brass to pick them up w/ a magnet.
Higher end shells (AA's, Nitros) are magnetic and pick up fairly easy with standerd magnets from the hardware store. Some of the older shooters around here use them to pick up hulls for reloading.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM

Using a magnet still has its issues because it is slightly dependant upon the size of the magnet.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

At my local range,we send all the little kids out with 5 gallon buckets, and the problem is solved!

And to think I don't have an engineering degree.....
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM

This would be convenient to be able to do all the time but young children aren't exactly the most efficient cleaner-uppers.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shell pickup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.