Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

870 Remington 3 1/2 " magnum Express Questions..

Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 870 Remington 3 1/2 " magnum Express Questions..

1. Can I shoot 2 3/4 inch rifled slugs through it?

2. Which choke is best..?

3. If you have done this ,,what were your shot groups like?
Example ..with my Ithica 12 guage I'm getting a 3 inch group at 50 yds..

4 Will this effect my shotgun as my main purpose is for shooting turkeys?

Thanks for the relies,
C7
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 870 Remington 3 1/2 " magnum Express Questions..

Of course it's safe to shoot them from your shotgun. The standard reccomendation is to use open choke-NOT turkey tube. NOBODY can say for sure what YOUR gun will do until you try it due to the fact that every gun will be slightly different because of factory tolerences of barrel/bore/chamber.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you can shoot them. I would use an IC choke.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks guys,
Here's the deal..I hunt in a very tough WMA in FLorida..The hogs and deer are usually only seen about 20 minutes before good seeing light ..so I figured I'd sit in my stand with my 870 and 3 1/2 inch buck shot..After daylight i was going to quietly slide a slug in the chamber..When daylight comes ..my longest shot is 50 yds maybe..Ammo is getting hard to find so I only have 2 3/4 inch slugs..My Ithica puts them in groups of 3 inch..at 50 yds..but I haven't shot the 870 with slugs yet..

I did some homework on the slugs and yes 100% agree with Improved Cylinder being the best for slugs..

thanks guys,
Chuck7
Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I apologize if I sound like a jerk because I misunderstand you but...

Are you saying you want to load with buckshot because you're going to be shooting at something when it is too dark to see well enough to shoot it with a slug? That sounds downright dangerous and irresponsible. That's how PEOPLE get shot. If you can't see it well enough to pick a spot and splat a slug into it, you shouldn't be shooting. PERIOD.

I'll sit on my hands about my overall opinion of buckshot as a hunting tool.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

You have a good point and I appreciate the feedback..my stand is literally on top of the game..I can see the rack of the deer but even with tru glo sites..I can't see ...well. The tru glo is on my 30-30

I want to get tru glo mounted on my 870..this will help alot..plus the rear site moves so you could shoot in slugs..

Sorry for offending you ..that was not my intent.
Chuck7
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

So it's legal to hunt when it is still that dark? I know what you mean about plain iron sights if you do not have tru-glo, at the 30min prior to sunrise start of legal hunting hours it can be difficult.

Assuming it is legally light and still too dark to see your sights well, I still suggest that buckshot is not your best option. What you would basically be saying is that you are using the buckshot as a substitute for being able to see clearly enough to aim well -- the pattern is making up for aiming precision. I know I said I'd sit on my hands, but my experience with buckshot has shown it to be a pretty poor killer of game. The only time I ever shot at a deer with buckshot myself was many years ago, I had a perfect 30 yd shot and not a single pellet hit it -- it easily could have been a wounding shot, yet my follow-up shot with a slug was through the heart. I've recovered numerous deer over the years that had been wounded with buckshot and took days to die or me to find them by happenstance and put them down. IMHO there is no substitute for putting a bullet where you intend to vs. hoping the buckshot finds the vitals. 00 buckshot is 30 caliber, low velocity, a poor killer unless you DO center the pattern on the vitals in which case the slug would have done better anyways.

I think buckshot is great for smaller vermin or home defense, however!

Just one man's opinion, I know some people use it with success. You know I have a pair of good quality clip-on Tru-Glo's I use for turkey, I think they were only $40-$50 at Cabelas.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same gun. Mine wouldn't shoot worth a crap with slugs. I didn't put much time into trying since I have a dedicated slug gun, but it was bad. More like a pattern than a group with IC tube in.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I really appreciate all the replies..and I do pride myself as an ethical hunter..therefore I'll take your advice and leave the buckshot home..

I apprecaite the slug / 870 update..I noticed my didn't pattern all that well with turkey shot either ..but I did get my first turkey last year..

Your right about the buckshot. I shot a small hog at 10 yds with 00 buck..It ran for 30 yds...I thought C R A P.. I couldn't have missed..and I didn't . I knocked out 4 ribs and the sow still ran..[&o]

My Ithica shoots slugs wonderfully...I will take it this Sat..I've only killed 3 bucks with my 30-30 and all 3 dropped in their tracks..period..I shot a 4th deer with a Russian 6.2..It also dropped where it stood.. After reading about the buckshot wounding I changed my mind and won't use it..because where I hunt..you would never find it or care to look..It's a marsh filled with moccassins and gators. I want my game to stop in it's tracks..

Thanks so much for responding,
Chuck7

PS I'll check out Cabelas for those clip on sights..