Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7x57 mauser

Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default 7x57 mauser

my grandfather gave me this gun when I was younger and I'm just now sighting it in.Does anyone know if these guns are accurate. Ifthey are then my scope is bad because It's all over the place. Had three didn't shooters to make sure we weren'tpulling it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7x57 mauser

What kind of rifle is it? What ammunition are you shooting? Is it clean?

As far as the clean part. If the rifle is old, there is a strong possibility that the bore has never really been thouroughly cleaned to get copper buildup out. Especially if it's what I think it is (a Spanish Mauser Model 93). I've used both Sweets 7.62 and Barnes CR-10 copper removers, and both work very well. Just follow the directions.

Also check the crown of the muzzle for damage or wear to the rifling in the first 2" or so of the bore at the muzzle. If it was cleaned routinely from the muzzle end (which was common to military rifles of that era), there is often wear around the crown or muzzle end of the bore (which is why a wise rifleman always cleans from the breech). If the crown is messed up, then accuracy will be poor.

Also try changing the ammo you're using. If you're using old milsurp ammo, which can literally be hit--and-miss accuracy wise, try some modern made factory ammo.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Slapout_hunter1202

my grandfather gave me this gun when I was younger and I'm just now sighting it in.Does anyone know if these guns are accurate. Ifthey are then my scope is bad because It's all over the place. Had three didn't shooters to make sure we weren'tpulling it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There are just tons of different guns chambered for the old 7X57mm cartridge. Accuracy depends on the individual gun you have, not on the caretridge per se! Yes, the 7X57mm round is capable of great accuracy. I have three. One is a Ruger No. 1A, one is a Model 1924 FN-made Venezuelan Mauser, and the other is a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Both the Ruger and the M1924 FN are extremely accurate. The M/S is acceptable as well. Here isa 7X57mm 100-meter group from the Ruger.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slapout,
Can you post a picture? I'm sure we can identify it... and with a proper cleaning and checking the action screws and scope mounts/rings, you should be able to determine if it's the barrel/gun or your accoutrements that are causing the problem.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

It has a different stock on it now. It was handmade so will that make a difference in identifying it?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

I've searched on the internet and believe its a 93 model
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slapout_hunter1202

I've searched on the internet and believe its a 93 model
Spanish Mauser Model 1893! D*mn I'm good![8D]

Did you check the things I mentioned? How does the bore and muzzle look?

Mike

Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I can't see any rifling trouble. I bought a new scope today so i'm going to try it out. I believe the older scope on it was way passed through with.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:27 AM

If it's a '93, the gas port on the left side of the reciever ring will appear to have been double drilled (think figure 8 on it's side). Also some '93's have a square area on the bottom of the bolt face. This was an attempt at a bolt guide rail. I don't think the bolts with the square face are any slicker than the round face.

'93's are almost exclusively from Ovideo (maybe all, but I've learned not to state absolutes... get's me in trouble ... I'm not as smart as I think I am).

91's, 92's, 93's, 94's, 95's and 96's cock on closing. Lock time is a littleslower too, but I still like 'em.

Lot's of 98's in 7 Mauser too. I have a 35 Chilean. Groups under MOA at 100 yards from a bench rest. (It is scoped).

Favorite rig (today) is an 8mm. (8X56). I reload for it. Got 'er pumped up pretty tight... she sure brings pee!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

It has the flat bolt face and cocks on close. The only thing is it has been sporterized and I can't see the creston the receiver ring. All I haveis serial numbers to determine when it was made.

Quick Reply: 7x57 mauser

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.