Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnum haters?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Magnum haters?

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

the three grooves are too hard on bullets, I requested a 9 twist 4 groove on this build, 3 grooves will rip the jackets off of alot of bullets at that velocity
RR
10-4 that. Never really thought about that aspect. Ive done a good bit of research on the 3 grooves just for my own curiosity sake and had never heard of that issue. As well the aforementioned aquaintances using the barrel haven't had any issue, but then they lag a solid 300 fps behind your application. Just goes to show...just when you think you had something figured. Your round is kind of a different ballgame though compared to most mere mortal cartridges lol.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: homers brother

If there's a chance I'm going to gut-shoot an animal, I'm not going to take the shot, regardless of what I'm carrying. I don't buy the argument at all that a magnum is better than a standard under those circumstances, and hunters should think before they intentionally wound an animal, even if it'll die in the end. Guess I haven't been all that impressed with the tracking skills I've seen in the field, nor the number of dead (usually respectable) bucks I've found "lost" by another hunter.

No one advocated taking a gut shot on an animal. I brough it up in the context that bad things can happen, even in good situations. And you may find it hard to believe but I am sure that a bad hit deer with a magnum is normally still a dead deer. And a bad hit deer with a lesser cartridge is one you will have to chase down, or you may never retrieve. I have seen it way too many times.

The inability to massively shock a deer is the reason why so many bow hunters loose deer that they have shot. That and the fact that they do not know what to do when they hit a deer. Especially with a bad hit.

Again, I am not advocating taking a bad shot. But I am sure that a "SHOOTER" is better served with a magnum, over a "pea shooter". Just my opinion.

Do you realize that some people consider a 30-06 as a magnum, or overkill?? Tom.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a .300 Win Short Mag. The kick has never been an issue to me, and I shoot that gun better then any other rifle I have used. I orginally bought it for hunting out west when i lived out there.

Now living back east its my primary deer rifle too. I have a .270 but i dont shoot it nearly as well as my .300WSM. Granted my .300WSM is a nicer gun too.

Also, im not a small guy. I weigh 200lbs, work out,lift weights, the works, and contact isnt a big issue for me. I have a friend thats small and he is affraid of it cause it does knock him around.

I would say shoot what works for you and what is legal for what your hunting. A well place bullet is still the best method. I load my .300WSM light for deer, to try and offset and extra explosions that might ruin the meat.

I just like the fact that my one gun can cover a very large array of game and all i have to do is change bullets and re sight in.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

magnums do not make up for poor shooting/shot placement!
I can not agree with that one.
....and then....

I am not advocating that a poor shot would hunt with a magnum to make up for the inability to shoot. But I am definitely saying the magnum will do considerably more damage. Tom.
So.....

MagnumsDON'T make up for poor shooting/shot placement, which you can not agree with.

Would you then agree that magnums DO make up for poor shooting/shot placement? That seems to beyour logic here.

But......

You don't advocate a magnum for someone who can't shoot.

Now I'm confused.

And a deer gut-shot with a magnum dies right there, eh? (sorry, didn't quote you, you'll have to read back to your post). I don't know whose world you live in, but there's no guarantee of that, either. A poor shot is a poor shot, whether in how its presented to the shooter or in how the shootercontributes toit. As the shooter, you have a choice whether to take the shot or not.

I burned up nearly1300 rounds ofvarious caliber centerfire rifle ammunition this summer, but since I might use a "pea shooter", I'm not a "SHOOTER"? Yeah,you have a point there, I guess. Aside from a few other things, "Magnum-itis"sometimes brings with it a certain arrogance toward anyone who doesn'tbow to"the great god, magnum". But that's just MY opinion.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one here is trying to say that if you don't shoot a magnum that you're less of a marksman or hunter. All we're trying to say is that the reasons why we use a magnum rifle are based upon real worldperformance, and not vanity.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

And a deer gut-shot with a magnum dies right there, eh? (sorry, didn't quote you, you'll have to read back to your post). I don't know whose world you live in, but there's no guarantee of that, either. A poor shot is a poor shot
EXACTLY!
IF someone is "dropping 'em" with a gut shot, they are extremely lucky! No matter what caliber they are using!

What they are basically saying is that a magnum makes up for poor shooting! That is just not true!
Again, I'm NOT a magnum hater, I love mine!
Just try going back to a lighter caliber, it will cure your magnumitis!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: homers brother

magnums do not make up for poor shooting/shot placement!
I can not agree with that one.
....and then....

I am not advocating that a poor shot would hunt with a magnum to make up for the inability to shoot. But I am definitely saying the magnum will do considerably more damage. Tom.

Please enlighten me as to how either of my statements here are wrong?? If you want to quote it that is fine, but please try to explain yourself??

Are you saying that a magnum does NOT do more damage???????

Are you saying that a bad shot is not possible?? Even if you are the greatest shooter and hunter on earth?? Or that a deer shot with a "Pea Shooter" will die faster than a deer hit with a magnum?? Obviously a deer(bad hit) will expire fasterwith the magnum---with the "Pea Shooter", you may not get him at all!!!

I guess the words "Pea Shooter" lighted a fire. Sorry about that. But I think a hunter owes it to the game to practice with his firearm. And that a fast kill should always be the #1 priority. And in the hands of a competent shooter a magnum will effectively kill faster. I really do believe that.

And I also believe that a hunter should not even be allowed in the woods until he can show complete competency with his firearm, but then that is a different subject.

There are alot of situations that a good hunter or a good shooter can get into-through no fault of their own. And that extra oooommmmph of a mqgnum can make a difference. How can you not agree with that?? I just can not understand ?? Sorry, just my opinion. Tom.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased a German Weatherby .300 Wby. Mag., and I already love it!! Good luck.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

EXACTLY!
IF someone is "dropping 'em" with a gut shot, they are extremely lucky! No matter what caliber they are using!

What they are basically saying is that a magnum makes up for poor shooting! That is just not true!
Again, I'm NOT a magnum hater, I love mine!
Just try going back to a lighter caliber, it will cure your magnumitis!
No one was saying that shooting a magnum makes up for poor shooting skills. In fact, it's just the opposet. If you want to get the most out of a magnum then you have to be a good shooter to begin with. What I will say is that if you do by chance ever make a bad shot, then you do have a better chance of recovering that deer if you're using something more powerful.

And I hunt with all my guns. This week I hunted with my 30-30 and 30-06. Far from curing magnumitis, I found that for my hunting area the .300 win mag was as close to a perfect rifle as I could have and I missed it :-(.

Much of this is because my other rifles aren't made as well as my magnum and like with anything else, you get what you pay for. I've gone through so much with my magnum and it's been the best rifle I've ever had. I wouldn't really be gaining anything by getting rid of itor using something else. Heck due to the stock design and weight, it kicks less than my 30-06.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

The magnum does not do more damage all the time. The bullet is what does the damage. The worst blown to hell deer I ever saw was hit with a 140 grain Speer Hot core bullet from a 280. Bullet weight and type have more to do with damage than velocity. Any animal hit right with almost any caliber is going to go down in short order. I have killed deer with calibers from 22 rimfire to 416 Rem Mag and 45-70.

Quick Reply: Magnum haters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.