Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New guy here, and I am sure you all hate this question....

Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default New guy here, and I am sure you all hate this question....

Like most of us I am on a TIGHT budget, but I need a new gun. I am fortunate enough to live on plenty of acreage with plenty of wild game.
I am hoping there is a ONE gun solution to my hunting needs. I am not an incredibly experience "hunter" although after many years serving my country and many more with a concealed carry permit, I am not as green as some either.

My question is "is it possible to buy a gun for both turkey AND <50 yard deer without buying 2 barrels?

Thank you all and I look forward to using your collective knowledge base to put meat on the table in these rough times!!

Thank you
Don

Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New guy here, and I am sure you all hate this question....

50 Yards? A 12 gauge with different choke tubes. An open choke or I.C. choke tube with a rifled slug will work for deer at 50 yards, and a full choke or "turkey" choke with #4 or 5 shot for turkeys.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you very much!!
So I could just go buy a 12 gauge like a Remington 870, and 2 different choke tubes?! SAHWEET!!

Thanks again!
I'll post picts of what I buy, and picts if i ever kill anything!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can get a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 combo that will include a fully rifled barrel for making shots on deer to 150 yards with sabot slugsand asmoothborebarrel with interchangeable chokes for hunting turkey, water fowl, doves, small game, etc...

Remington 870 combo
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_combos.asp

Mossberg 500 combo
http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&display=specs

Some of the Mossberg 500 comboswill retail for well under $400.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I was just on the Remington website looking at the Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Combo .. NICE!
Is the quality difference between the mossberg and Remington as significant as the price would suggest?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually, when you buy a shotgun (and I do recomend the 870) it comes with three choke tubes. I.C., Modified, and full. You could buy rifled choke tubes for sabot slugs, open chokes for rifled slugs, or turkey chokes for turkey loads but the three that it comes with will do just fine too.

I have both the Mossberg 500 and two Remington 870's, and I can say that the 870 is worth the extra money. The Mossberg is a great gun, but the 870 feels a whole lot more solid. My 500 has been to the gunsmith twice (nothing serious) but my 870's have always functioned without a hitch. Either one is good, but I like the 870 better.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Man, you guys just ROCK!
Thanks so much!!
Now if I can just find the Remy in CAMO!!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey donnie-all you have to do is watch for remington 870 express combo to go on sale at your local sporting goods store and paint and/or tape it yourself,or you can buy a camoed turkey gun and buy the rifled slug barrel later when you can afford it.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

remington does sell the combo in a camo finish, my wife bought it for me last year for christmas. very sweet gun.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

mossberg 500 get it at walmart for 200 bucks or a local pawn shop for less. they have removable chokes. and i use one and will be hunting deer with it.

Quick Reply: New guy here, and I am sure you all hate this question....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.