Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what do you use a 9mm rifle for?

Old 03-28-2003, 06:53 AM

Default RE: what do you use a 9mm rifle for?

9mm? (got one in pistol by the way)

Great lite lite machine gun/close range urban police assault rifle round.
Mediocre pistol round.
Plain carbine? Big Bore 22 for plinking..

If you are going to give up a 9mm pistol to go to a slow firing " long gun" scenario, with its weight, bulk, and lack of maneuverability, then at least pick up some power in exchange -- .223 or 12 gauge!

Police officers that can' t handle the recoil of a 12 ga. 1 oz slug? (1 oz trap load equivalent -- 12 gauge slug kick is a myth in 2 3/4" ). What' s the world coming to? How are they going to physically catch or arrest a 120 pound gang banger?

Niche product for those that want to use the same ammo in their rifle as they use in their pistol.

Wuff.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM

Old 03-28-2003, 11:52 AM

Police officers that can' t handle the recoil of a 12 ga
I didn' t say " can' t handle" , I said " complained of stiff recoil" . And I' m not one of those that complained. Heck my Department is totally against long guns. I have begged for AR' s but found that wasn' t going anywhere. Another Officer begged for the shotgun that didn' t go anywhere. I' m down to begging for a pistol round carbine now. Guess what? That isn' t going anywhere either. Of course we carry .40S&W so if it should ever come to pass it would proably be a Ruger Carbine in .40S&W.

I guess a pistol round carbine could be rather nice if all you have is a handgun [&o]
Old 03-28-2003, 01:54 PM

Kodiak, no way in heck do i believe that you shot a little doe in the " brain" and it didn' t die, i hole in the brain is a hole in the brain. Dead. Especially a 9mm heck i wouldn' t have believed it if it was a 50grain .22 even...BSbsbsbsbs
Old 03-28-2003, 07:17 PM

Last year I shot a fox squirrel in the sholder. When I got to him, he was still alive enough to crawl. So I shot him point blank in the head witha 22lr, and he was still breathing heavy. Did that two more times before he stopped breathing. I think it was one of those cases where the brain is dead, but the heart and lungs keeps going. I imange the same thing could happen with a deer.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Police, swat, and special forces widely use HK MP-5 9mm submachineguns for assault teams. These short rifles can put alot of hot lead in a target very fast without the worry of penetrating through the next 3 houses as in the case of a .223. At close range a 9mm will have better " knockdown power" than a fmj .223 round if only because it punches a bigger hole. These smg' s have a huge advantage over shotguns in confined spaces where there might be multiple targets. and its much easier for a badguy to grab a longer shotgun barrel while you' re going around a corner than the much shorter 9mm rifle. The reduced recoil makes for quicker acquisition of secondary targets or followup shots.

For a plinking rifle, I don' t see the point. You can do a whole lot more plinking with a .22 or .22 magnum with $10 worth of ammo than you can with a 9mm. Long range ballistics for the 9mm are pretty dismal also.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course we carry .40S&W so if it should ever come to pass it would proably be a Ruger Carbine in .40S&W.
Hey, why not ask for Ruger deerfield carbines in .44 magnum? Gobs of knockdown power, quickshooting, and little recoil?
Old 03-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

i;ve worked in a slaughter house and have finished off 3 deer with close range head shots, and it all cases i have noticed that if the bullet does not travel and sever the area that connects to the spinal cord the animal will go into a " seizure like state" it;s dead, but like 3030win said, it;s brain is dead but the body don;t know it. you;d be suprissed how much the animal will move, i finished a deer for my buddy (he fired one shot, hit far forward and his gun busted so their was no second shot available), and that deer literally convulsed like no tommorrow. with bleats and heavy breathing, but i;ve also shot animals where like i said the bullet will completely penetrate the skull and sever the spinal area and it will drop like a rock. so it;s all relative.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friz & Mib, Maybe a sharp stick was a bad comparison. After all you can sell a 9mm for much more than you can a sharp stick. I think 3030win and paulyseggs described what happened to the deer pretty well as a " seizure like state" .

What I was getting was, that if I' m going to use something for self defence then I want something that will DROP whatever I' m shooting at with a reasonable guarentee. Now with that deer, after reading paulys' post, the caliber wasn' t the problem. If I would have shot where it would hit the area that connects to the spinal cord then it probably would have dropped.

As for the original question, ELKamp summed it up with a " Niche product for those that want to use the same ammo in their rifle as they use in their pistol."
And " If you are going to give up a 9mm pistol to go to a slow firing " long gun" scenario, with its weight, bulk, and lack of maneuverability, then at least pick up some power in exchange -- .223 or 12 gauge!" Which is why I didn' t think it would be a very good self defence gun.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

worthless as teats on a boar in my opinion!
Old 03-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 9mm rifle what do you use it for? Hummmm Taking up valuable space in your gun safe.I wouldn' t have any use for one. I don' t care for the 9mm to begin with.I guess for plinking it would be alright. Other then that there isn' t much going for it.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: what do you use a 9mm rifle for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.