Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson Center Pro Hunter?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thompson Center Pro Hunter?

hey guys, i've been looking at this gun for a while, i haven't shot it but i've heard it can split the hairs on a gnats a$$ at 300 yards anyway just wondering what caliber you guys would reccommend?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thompson Center Pro Hunter?

mine is a .25-06 and i love it! the only thing i changed on mine is the trigger. i installed a 2 pound trigger spring to sweet'n the trigger up.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the pics. i had thought about a .25-06 but i've never deer hunted with that small a caliber. guess i should have mentioned it will be used for deer hunting lol willthat caliber still get the job done? and also do they offer short mag calibers? just curious. by the way that's one sweet looking rifle i'm already jealous
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

a .25-06 will kill ANY whitetail on this continent. some even argue it as a good elk rifle. from prairie dogs to elk, a .25-06 will get the job done without beating your shoulder to death. i can consistantly shoot quarter sized groups at 100 yards with mine and have taken numerous deer with no problems. the furthest a deer has run from me after i shot it with my .25-06 has been approximately 30 yards. whatever caliber you decide to go with, make sure you are comfortable, confident and proficientin shooting it. undoubtly, my T/C is my favorite rifle!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Prohunter in a 300 win mag. I had always wanted this round but thought it would be over kill. I shoot a hornady interbond 150 tip and it works will. Recoil is less than my Browing 3006 but i do think it is over kill. I'm planning on buying a 2506 barrel. You cant go wrong with that.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would highly recommend the Encore. I really like mine. I consider it very versatile, fast handling, short, fairly light weight, and more than accurate enough to do the job. However I would not recommend the Pro Hunter. IMO it is over priced for what you get.

I have two actions, several barrels, and a couple different stock. If I were you this is how I would purchase a new Encore.

You can order the action from Stratton or Bellm, and you can order it with a custom trigger job. Those two guys do a great job. You can then order a custom barrel. I prefer the MGM barrels. But there are several good barrel makers out there. Then I would order the stock I wanted. This is how I did it, and now I have a custom Encore for the price of a Pro Hunter that still needs a trigger job!!

As far as a cartridge is concerned it is hard to beat the old 30-06. That is my favorite deer hunting Encore barrel. But if you relaod you can get creative with a custom barrel. Personally I would stay away from the 25-06. But then I do not have much use for a quarter bore(too big for the little stuff, and too small for the large stuff). This is just my opinion, but I have owned a few of them. And I got rid of all of them. Tom.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 25-06 for deer,pronghorn and woodchucks! Love the caliber,my longest chuck was killed at 503 yards with my Encore...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM

I have an encore and 4 different barrels for it. .223 rem., .280 Rem., .7mm Rem. Mag., and .300 Win. Mag. I have shot all except the .300 Win Mag. All of them have groups in the 1 - 1.5 " range and are great to shoot. the hardest decision is what barrel to use. I have killed Axis deer with all three of these barrels and to me the .280 is the most universal of them all.

Axis

Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I would highly recommend the Encore. I really like mine. I consider it very versatile, fast handling, short, fairly light weight, and more than accurate enough to do the job. However I would not recommend the Pro Hunter. IMO it is over priced for what you get.

I have two actions, several barrels, and a couple different stock. If I were you this is how I would purchase a new Encore.

You can order the action from Stratton or Bellm, and you can order it with a custom trigger job. Those two guys do a great job. You can then order a custom barrel. I prefer the MGM barrels. But there are several good barrel makers out there. Then I would order the stock I wanted. This is how I did it, and now I have a custom Encore for the price of a Pro Hunter that still needs a trigger job!!

As far as a cartridge is concerned it is hard to beat the old 30-06. That is my favorite deer hunting Encore barrel. But if you relaod you can get creative with a custom barrel. Personally I would stay away from the 25-06. But then I do not have much use for a quarter bore(too big for the little stuff, and too small for the large stuff). This is just my opinion, but I have owned a few of them. And I got rid of all of them. Tom.
for whitetails, the .25-06 is hard to beat. the .30-06 is probally the best all around cartridge but we don't have elk, moose, caribou, etc. to hunt here in the deep southeast. if someone can't kill a whitetail with a .25-06 they probally shouldn't be hunting. (this was not an attack on your post, just defending this cartridge)
Old 10-27-2008, 08:44 AM
bigcountry

As long as you guys like em, thats all that matters. But I have went down this road, and do have an accurate encore. But in the end after all that work, I have a $700 pokestalk. Crazy. I won't do it again. Encore is the biggest gimmick on the market pushed on hunters

Quick Reply: Thompson Center Pro Hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.