Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about NEF guns

Old 03-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Question about NEF guns

OK, I was going to get an Marlin 83TS .22 mag but I am running out of time before turkey season and I can' t find one at the price I need to pay (suppliers are out or in stock but too expensive). So I looked around and noticed the NEF handi rifle or handi rifle light is in my price range. I also noticed that I could get a .223 instead of a .22 mag which is better for turkeys anyway. Any experience with either of these guns? Is the light worth $10 more or whatever? One website said NEF will do a trigger job on it for free and you can buy different barrels down the road.. What do you guys think? the single shot part doesn' t bother me. You get one shot at a turkey anyway. I have an auto shotgun and haven' t been able to get off two shots!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about NEF guns

I' ve never hunted turkey, but I have used several of the NEF rifles and am satisfied with them.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:30 AM

Handirifle or handirifle light?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive shot 2 handi rifles (not the light version) .223 and a 30-06. i own the 30-06 my friend bought the 223 last year. both shoot great and are easy to pack around. Even with the triggers not being worked on we can shoot them very well. and like u mentioned there are several difrent barrels u can purchase later for around 75-80$.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:44 PM

I have the NEF light rifle, synthetic in .223.
Great handling rifle is very lightweight is really a plus for coyote hunting. It is very short due to the 20" barrel and the lack of any action to add length. This gun is so small and light it is very quick to get on target.
Mine shoots 1" groups with the 45gr Winchester bulk pack ammo.
There are less barrel conversions available for the light rifle than for the regular one.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:50 PM

I notice that the heavy barrel version of the regular handi rifle is the same price as the standard barrel version. I should get the heavy barrel version right? Also, the length of pull on the wood stock version is 3/4 inch shorter and I would rather have that one. Any of you own the wood stock version? Any problems with it? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:59 PM

Get the regular barrel and get the synthetic stock. All the bull barrel adds is weight and the wooden stock will cause you accuracy problems due to swelling/warping.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:48 PM

But noway, I am 5' 7" tall. Every gun I have with a wooden stock is cut to 13 1/2" length of pull. The wood stock version of the handirifle looks to have a length of pull of 13 1/2" the synthetic 14 1/4" . And I doubt the synthetic stock can be cut. I have a TC Thunderhawk with a synthetic stock and the length of pull is too long. There is nothing I can do about it because it can' t be cut. If I used it more than 6 days a year (season) I would get a wooden stock for it. 14 1/4" is too long for me. I guess I will get the wood. Most of my rifles are wood and I don' t see any big problems with using wood. I like synthetic better but that length of pull is too long, especially with heavy clothing.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My nephiew has the handi rifle in 223. as his deer rifle (dropped two in their tracks last year). It shoots very good and it' s good looking too. I personaly have no liking for synthetic stocks but I have shot my friends 17hrm light rifle and it was really good too. It wasn' t any more accurate than the wooden stock 223 but it was lighter. One thing to keep in mind is that a scope adds alot of weight to the gun. I have a handi in 30-06 that was 7 pounds with no scope. I put a big scope on it and with the rings and bases, and the leather sling this rifle is now pushing over 8 pounds. That' s a chunk for a little rifle.

I think you will be very happy with the synthetic stock .223 with the heavy barrel. I' m about the same height as you and NEF guns have a better fit and feel than about any other guns I' ve shot.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:13 PM

thanks! NEF says they are the same weight but I doubt it. Wonder why the difference in length of pull between syn and the wood stock?

Quick Reply: Question about NEF guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.