Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

win silvertips

Old 03-23-2003, 05:57 PM

Default win silvertips

just fallen apon a deal in windham ME. wal-mart on some ammo.(30-06sprg). bought 4 boxes of the 150gr. and 4 boxes of the 180gr. for $11.88 a box.

wondering on if anyone has used the 150gr. silvertips on deer under 100yds? does it hold together well under those velocities?
i would like to try to get my gun to use 150gr' s over 180gr' s if it likes it.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: win silvertips

They are my very favorite factory loaded ammo and about all I ever use if I have to buy factory stuff. They work well for me in my 30-06 and 250-3000. They almost always exit and do pretty good damage on the way through. The 150' s will be great for deer. The 180' s will work well but maybe a little more that needed for deer.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve used them (150gr Win Bal. Silvertips) on deer for years, my .30-06 throws them out at .5MOA off a harris bipod. I took a deer at 383yrds with one shot, it took one step and fell. BUT, I also killed a deer at 40 yrds that made it four miles before dying. If you hit the shoulder at close ranges, they' re going down dead before they know they are hit, everytime I' ve aimed for the shoulder at close ranges I get frags in the heart and lungs, with a broken shoulder, if I hit the rib cage though, they run just like the above mentioned.

OR are you talking about Super-X silvertips? They aren' t nearly as accurate as the Supreme Balistic SIlvertips (1.0MOA average, .80MOA was best), but they are more than adequate for hunting applications. I took two neck shots with them at close ranges this year, they dropped like stones. They give much slower expansion, I don' t like them in the shoulder as much as my Bal. Silvertips (shoulder is my favorite shot, even if you miss the heart/lungs they aren' t going very far very fast with one leg hanging limp.) but they do very well on straight forward vital shots. They are a real deer round, they give a little more expansion than a soft point, but not as much as my Bal. Silvertips which are slightly less volitile than varminter bullets.

My advice in either case is go for it, they are both great rounds and I' ve used both to great success (Super-X 150gr silvertips took me two does this year that dressed around 180# each!)
Old 03-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine shot a antelope with Winchester Super-X 150 gr. silvertips using his 30-30 Win. He had to hit the animal three times two times when it was standing, and once on the ground. The bullets disintegrated. Good luck.