Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How long can you expect guns to last?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long can you expect guns to last?

I have a few buddies whom say they don't like to shoot their guns anymore than needed so that they wont wear out the rifling in the barrels or wear the guns out. Me on the other hand if I buy a gun I'm buying it to shoot. They also all seem to have guns new in the box that's never been shot. I don't get the point of this as if I buy a gun I want to use it. I have had my newest one for less than a month. The first week I shot probably 200 shells through it. Probably 3-350 now. I just like target shooting and don't see the point in not shooting them.

Realistically though how many shells can you expect guns to last? Is it something I should actually worry about or does the rifling not get worn out that easily? They all have me worried telling me I'm going to wear out the barrels quickly. My response is I bought it to shoot so if it does wear out I will get a new one. That's when I always get told how not everyone has money to do that and treated like I don't respect my guns. I'm super particular about cleaning them and do it often I just don't let them sit in the box unshot.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How long can you expect guns to last?

It really depends on a few factors. One is how well the firearm is maintained. And what chambering and how hot a load is being shot out of it. The 220 swift was a good one for burning out barrels rather quickly. But you get something like a 45-70, 35 rem. these will last forever if they are cared for.
Regardless, with the average shooter/hunter, you can expect a firearm to last his or her lifetime. Now a competetive shooter that shoots thousands of rounds a week or month. They will require more replacement of parts through normal wear.
I have rifles for over 40 years that still shoot very well.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never owed a rifle long enough to find out but I would imagine a rifle shooting lighter bullets at moderate velocity(2500-2800fps) would last at least though 5000 rnds and a magnum shooting heavy bullets, mabye 3-4000rds. Then again theres alot of AKs, garands and mausers out there with alot more rounds through em than that, so who knows? Good question though.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some guns over 100 years old that were military service weapons and have probably seen many thousands of rounds. still shooters. If it is maintained properly it will last longer than you or I.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

So basically I can shoot it as much as I want and not really worry about it as long as I keep it clean and maintain it like I should?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So basically I can shoot it as much as I want and not really worry about it as long as I keep it clean and maintain it like I should?
Yeah...kinda...it really depends on the cartridge also.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Ruger 10/22 that has over 50,000 rounds through it. Looks and shoots like new. But a 22 long rifle is a long way from a 220 swift.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A new rifle will last several thousand rounds,even hot rounds. Handguns and shotguns will last sometimes no telling how many rounds,depending on caliber,size,and style. There are 2 main enemies to guns-poor maintance and heat from shooting them so quick that the barrel becomes too hot. Letting them rust falls under poor maintance. All I can say is take care of it and it will last a couple of lifetimes if not more-no matter how many rounds you shoot as it's hard to be able to afford to shoot a gun enough to where you have to worry about wearing it out.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

They usually last longer than their owners.....
Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with bronko and i will also add it depends how well you take care of the rifle. The hotter the load the faster it will burn the barrel out. But your talking about thousands of rounds to.

Quick Reply: How long can you expect guns to last?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.