Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How long can you expect guns to last?

Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long can you expect guns to last?

As many have already said,a lifetime with proper care and cleaning.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

im sure rifles/guns fall into lots of categories.

personally I never plan to shoot out a gun....

I'd like to shoot more and more often, but I just don't get to it, also owning more than 1 gun, you can spread the wear and tear around more.

I'm sure many guys are like me, we shoot prior to a hunt, get sighted the new rifle in, then shoot before a hunt, may shoot a few shells during the hunt, put it away, then next time i use it, ill make sure its on, and go from there. Some guns may not get any shots through them in a year....

Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 PM

If you buy a quality gun and take good care of it, it will outlast you.

I have my great grandfather's el cheapo Iver Johnson single barrel shotgun hanging over the fireplace. It is still fully functional inspite of the fact that it is99years old and had probably never been cleaned untilI inherited it.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

What is wore out? Really. Barrels wear out by increasing groups size. Well, if your gun shoots 1" groups now on average and you consider 1.25" groups too big, I think you might wear it out in 1000 rounds. If wore out is 2" groups, you will get like 10000 rounds out of the barrel. Then to fix it, spend $300ish with your smith to lop off .5" from both ends, rechamber and recrown and you are good to go for another 10000 rounds. In reality most people buy a better barrel at this point and are out the door for $600. It takes forever to really wear out the rifling. Besides a new barrel fixes that.

Action? Well the trigger is probably the weakest link IMO. You may only get 10000 rounds of safe service life from a trigger. Buy a new one for like $100 and you are good to go. The actual bolt action will last for almost forever. It sees no wear really. Maybe 100000 in a sandy enviroment??

Point is your wallet will be wore out before you wear your gun out. Keep shooting as much as you can afford too. Probably your scope will break first.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Send your buddies out to the farm with me. I'll show 'em some serious shootin and barrel wear will be the last thing they have to worry about. Cost of ammo will set 'em back a buck or two tho. I got two friends who come and shoot pds with me once a year......they shoot 3000 rds. in three days. More than most guys shoot a hunting rifle in a lifetime.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are going to find a lot more guns 'worn out' from neglect or improper cleaning than from shooting.

I put 100,000+ rounds through a Remington 870 shooting trap, its still ticking.

I've worn out rifle barrels from shooting NRA/CMP Highpower- they last 3000-4000 rds before the accuracy drops off or you start blowing up bullets in fast twist barrels that have too much throat erosion. No big deal- for a few hundred dollars you replace the barrel which is still much cheaper than 3000 rds of ammunition.