Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

planning a purchase

Old 03-23-2003, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: planning a purchase

Of course the .243 Win will take any deer from Canada to Mexico. I concur. It will also wound any deer from Canada to Mexico and anywhere in between. I' ve seen it with my own eyes far too many times to admit, and I care for the game I hunt far too much to do them the injustice of using a varmint round to hopefully try and kill them.

My aunt shot the crap out of deer with a .243 and never, ever lost one. My uncle, however, shot many deer with a .243 and I remember all too well trying to track those poor, doomed, wounded animals well past dark. I guess anyone who chooses to shoot the .243 Win must have the mindset that the coyotes have to eat, too. That must be it.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

starboy using a 20 gauge ive never seen the pelts damaged unless it was a CLOSE shot. only time u would notice it is after u skin it and turn it upside down but u wont see it through the side with fur. I never could hit a running rabbit with my .22s so i had to take a shotgun along
Old 03-24-2003, 04:00 PM

I don' t think I want to buy a 20 gauge, as I' d just use it for rabbit anyway. It seems like kind of an unnecessary expense. I' m thinking that with the bow, I can use it for rabbit and use it before firearms season for deer. With a careful enough shooting, I won' t have to worry too much about hide/pelt damage.

Oh, and I wasn' t planning on shooting moving rabbits. It wouldn' t be necessary. They just stand where they are and chew on whatever is growing in my grandmother' s garden. I hope that doesn' t count as baiting though, as I think it' s illegal in CT.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

LOL starboy the laws do get a bit over the top, but the only thing thats kinda crazy is how the deer tags get let out, suppressors aren;t legal for hunting in ct, and a good quality pellet rifle will take out a rabbit, i use a benjamin sheridan 22cal, with some pointed pellets, the rifle is dead accurate and i;ve been practicing all winter (wooden matchsticks at 30ft),

vt is a great place to hunt, i lived there for a year, i;m thinking about makin a few trips up so i can hunt with my handgun, never been hunting in Nh, but i have hunted the northern region of ny alot, if your into good backwoods stuff, check out the adirondack park, lots of land good hunting, and great fishing. i;m really thinking about gettin my bow permit so i can hunt my back 40, i;ve got enough land back their for shotgun/muzzleloader but i;m a saftey conscience guy and their are a few too many houses for me to be comfortable...

honestly your best bet is to find a local gunstore, they;ll help you out and if they can;t they' ll send you somewhere that can. i personally try to stay away from kmart or wallmart except when theirs ammo sales, but they do have some good buys on guns too. they just don;t know their buttocks from the elbow on hunting
Old 03-24-2003, 08:14 PM

but the only thing thats kinda crazy is how the deer tags get let out
What do you mean? Is that that lottery thing I read about because that makes absolutely no sense to me. I saw all the " zones" for hunting too and it' s just odd. There' s almost no hunting land and some of the zones are in really weird spots. For example, Area 18 is just a bit north of where I' m from (north of Willimantic) and I never have seen a deer there, not to mention there' s a lot of residential area.

I also lived in VT for a year (first year of college). Actually the first time I ever shot a firearm was there. A friend of mine and his father were hunters so we went camping and his dad took a .22 rifle. It was a lot of fun.

I' m going to look into the bow idea. I should have thought of this sooner, but a friend' s family owns an archery range (and I think shop, too). It' ll be a good opportunity to try out some bows and maybe go that route. Besides, bowhunters get a longer season. Any tips on that?

And thanks again for all the advice.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-27-2003, 03:51 PM

I just ordered a NEF handirifle superlight in .223.. pretty neat, the poor man' s TC Encore kind of... you can get .22 hornet, .223, .243, 7mm-08, .308, 30-.06, .410, 20, 12 gauge, rifled shotgun barrels or smooth bore, even a .50 cal muzzleloading barrel. Extra barrels are cheap too, $58-$80 plus $10 shipping. The superlight is only 5 1/4 pounds and 35 1/2 inches long with a 20 inch barrel. Most barrels are 22 inches though.. The trigger is not supposed to be very good but the trigger can be lightened...
Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know how it shoots when u reicive it, my friends .223 handi rifle had a 20' ' barrel and was pretty accurate.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:21 PM

Will do. I was going to get a Marlin 83TS but for the same price as a low end bolt action rim fire, you can get a centerfire. I still can' t believe it is shorter than my 10/22 with 18 1/2inch barrel. Of course, there is no receiver. The 22 inch optional barrels would still make it barely longer than the 10/22... Might be a nice first deer rifle for my one of my sons when they get older with an extra .243 barrel or something..
Old 03-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got a 22' ' barrel on my 30-06 and it dont weight much and kick isnt bad for a little gun, the 243 should be easy to shoot and a great first gun, or the 7mm-08 if they offer it. i dont know where my paper is to check for available barrels.

Quick Reply: planning a purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.