Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 16BSS .270WSM

Old 03-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Savage 16BSS .270WSM

I just ordered a Savage 16BSS and am looking forward to receiving it. This gun is new for this year, and I might have to wait 3 months for it, but am in no hurry.

The one issue with the gun though-the trigger. Savage tells me it is adjustable by a gunsmith, and virtually every model of savage I' ve tried has had a creep in the trigger. Should I have a gunsmith take the travel out, (at $30.00) and work with the factory trigger, or just replace the trigger? Would the trigger pull be pretty heavy after the creep is out?

The shop has told me about and aftermarket trigger in the $110 range I can have installed-is it worth it?

Also, the stainless barrel is a little shiny, and I am considering having it bead-blasted? Is this bad to do in anyway?

Sorry for the " dumb" questions, but I appreciate your answers.

Also, this isn' t meant to be a Savage bashing thread, or gun debate. This is my first " new" rifle, and I really like the laminate stock, with stainless barrel. I also most appreciate the accuracy reputation of the Savage rifle.

It will most likely be outfitted with a Swarovski A-line 3-10x42.

I will " retire" my trusted Rem. 721 30-06, with a 3-9x40 Nikon, to upgrade a bit.

Can' t wait for the complete package
Old 03-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Savage 16BSS .270WSM

Woops!

Just called the dealer and he told me my gun would arrive early next week!

I guess I won' t have the 3 month wait
Old 03-21-2003, 09:32 AM

Go shoot it before you mess with the trigger. It may be acceptable to you.
If after shooting it you feel it needs some adjustment
a good gunsmith should be able to adjust it no problem to an acceptable level.
If you have the cash and want to buy an aftermarket trigger more power to you but is not necessary.
The silver finish on you rifle will not be a problem when hunting, leave it like it is, unless you just feel like getting it changed.
I have used stainless rifles for years, never had them cause a problem in a hunting situation cause of the color or flashes.
Good choice on your rifle I hope it turns out to be a shooter. As your research evidently told you, most Savages are.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:37 AM

The factory trigger can be adjusted easily in about 15 minutes with a screwdriver and allen wrench,a piece of .040 piano wire can be used to bring the pull weight down under 3#.All creep can safely be removed,if you feel uncomfortable with doing it yourself a competent gunsmith can do it for you($30 seems reasonable).You can buy a sharp shooter supply or timney aftermarket trigger for $80-90 and they will adjust in the 2-3 1/2# area and break like glass, either would be a good investment.They are not hard to install but a gunsmith can also do this for you.Good Luck with your new gun,I think you will really enjoy it,sounds like a good gun scope combo for short or long range work.If you want info or pics of trigger adjustment procedure message me.

woods
Old 03-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks!

The only thing about that stainless is that it is almost smooth and shiny, as opposed to the blasted look of the Win or Browning. It' s more for looks, but I like the dull/matte look and can' t help but think about those sunny-side treestand locations I have along some food plots and farm fields.

Sounds like I probably don' t need that aftermarket trigger. Woodseye, I should probably get that trigger-pull guage like you said. I like the pull on my 30-06, but it has some travel and bothers the heck out of me when I' m trying to squeeze through a shot. I will probably find out what the pull on the Rem. is at, and go from there.

Really looking forward to not only shooting this combo, but the possibility of looking through the scope at a mature buck this year during low-light in MI,AL,PA, or WI.

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 03-21-2003, 12:57 PM

Yeah I had all the step by step info and diagrams posted but got to thinking that might not be best and deleted it.If you need any info just holler,its not complicated or difficult and is really quite easy to adjust.Good Shooting

woods
Old 03-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

If you can afford it, go with the aftermarket trigger. It would make a nice rig and would seem appropriate given the quality of the scope you' ve chosen.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Finally picked up my gun/scope combo, and ammo on saturday, May 3rd. Gun shop/gunsmith was a little slow.

Shot within minutes of getting home and am very pleased!

Bore-sighting was way off(over a foot at 30 yards), so I had to adjust the Leupold base to get it back in line with my scopes adjustment range, but after shooting and cleaning, shooting and cleaning, and zeroing-in to actually hit paper and check a group at 100 yards, I did.

I don' t have a " bench" , or vise, or sand bags for that matter, just a plastic chair, a boat-cushion, and the back of an ATV. The first 2 shots were under 1/2" , and the 3rd combined to give my first 3-shot group an excact 1" .

Just what I was looking for in accuracy knowing that if I shot off a more stable bench and bag type rest or vise, I would be well under 1" .

I have been able to compare my 2 scopes, looking at my target behind the house, from inside the house, at about 80 yards in several late evenings and early mornings. The Swarovski A-line 3-10x42 is noticably brighter and sharper than my Nikon 3-9x40, and I can' t wait to hunt with it.

The trigger is adjusted to 3-3/4 pounds, absolutely no creep, and the bead-blasted barrel, laminate stock, and matte black scope make for a dull-finished, but pretty combo.

I am very pleased so-far, and have appreciated all the advice.

Thanks!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 05-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds great, sounds like you got a good gun. what all factory loads have u tried in your new toy?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Treedog,

I' ve only tried the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip in the 130gr.

So far, I am very pleased with their performance, but I will shoot another box this week/weekend sometime and really check my groups hard.

I' ve liked my Federal Premiums in the past, and I imagine I' ll check a box of those at some point when they come out with a .270WSM, although if I can get 1/2" to3/4" groups with the Winchester' s, probably no need to change, especially for a hunting rifle.

Jeff....U.P. of Michigan

Quick Reply: Savage 16BSS .270WSM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.