Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A good 45 ACP????

Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A good 45 ACP????

My own personal choice is the para ordnance LDA series in the 6 shot "pocket" model. It has THE BEST trigger system bar none! To be honest the first time I tried the trigger on one I thought it was broke until I shot it. I've been a gunsmith for 27 years and cannot even imagine attempting to improve this trigger system! I currently have 3 para ordnance-2 in LDA. All the para ordnance I've owned or shot have been TOTALLY reliable out of box. In fact,the acid test of a defence pistol is to see if it will feed an empty case from magazine-mine do,try THAT with some other pistols. Yes they are a little pricey but when you break the cost down to the lifetime of service (and hand down to your kids),it seems like nothing-especially when you consider that you CAN'T put a price tag on safety in defence situations. To be honest-there's a bunch of pistols on today's market that will serve great and almost any top quality pistol will save your life,I just like the features of para ordnance's LDA trigger system combined with the famous 1911 design as my personal ultimate defense pistols. Everybody I've trained or let shoot my LDAs shot a LOT better compared to other pistols-and I have sampling of almost every flavor. Otherwise how could we compare them side by side? In my experience,taurus triggers can be improved on a lot out of box on average,same as the rest. Bottom line is you really can't go wrong,you just have to choose what fits you personally,just wanted to share a little insight with you. Neil
Old 10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle has a Ruger P90 .45 I really like. Infact I was about ready to buy one until he talked me into looking at 9mm's instead due to the ammo is cheaper as is the gun. So for target shooting I decided it would be better like he said. His .45 is probably one of my favorite guns I've ever shot. I really like Ruger handguns for some reason. Not sure why. Their rifles are nice too. I like my Ruger 10/22 a lot too but when it comes to long guns there are others I like just as much if not even more.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

45 = 1911, Kimber or Les Baer. You can also get a nice Springfield and have it tuned. I love my Springfield Ultra Compact.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Glock 36 and I love it.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Get a Kimber or a Springfield 1911. Any size, i've got 5 Kimbers and 3 Springfields andthey've never done me wrong
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Another proud and extremely satisfied Kimber owner...
Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 AM

I hear a ton of great things about Kimber, their only downside is the price. I guess I didn't clarify too well, though. I would like a compact/sub-compact to carry on me. Right now I've got a S&W M&P .40 that I love, very accurate (that's what my girl is holding in my avatar pic). But it's full size and not so easy to conceal. I hadn't thought of Springfields and I don't know why not. I know I'll get beat up on the playground for this, but, I don't care for Glocks, personally. I thought the Taurus was a decent price, but obviously there are many more good ones out there. I wish Bersa was still making their .45 thunderin ultra-compact. Thanks for all the suggestions, I got a lot of research to do. But keep 'em coming because it will be a little while before I actually buy.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

The first thing you need to decide is what type of action you want, i.e. single action only (Colt government model and clones), a gunthat shoots the first round double action and the following rounds single action, or a double action only. If you're going with SA, then you're either carrying with no ammo in the chamber or one in the chamber and the hammer down, neither of which is an optimum state of readiness, or you're carrying 'cocked and locked.' Personally, I am not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, at least not concealed. Too much to go wrong. But that's your choice.

If you don't like those choices, then go with a DA/SA or DAO. 'Concealability' is factor of how you choose to carry the gun, but don't dismiss the larger guns. I only weigh 165 or so and I can put a full sized auto in the small of my back, and you generally won't see it even if I'm wearing a t-shirt.

That first decision will narrow it down for you. I do NOT recommend carrying a concealed pistol cocked and locked. As a duty pistol, yes, concealed, no.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: usmc1978

The first thing you need to decide is what type of action you want, i.e. single action only (Colt government model and clones), a gunthat shoots the first round double action and the following rounds single action, or a double action only. If you're going with SA, then you're either carrying with no ammo in the chamber or one in the chamber and the hammer down, neither of which is an optimum state of readiness, or you're carrying 'cocked and locked.' Personally, I am not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, at least not concealed. Too much to go wrong. But that's your choice.

If you don't like those choices, then go with a DA/SA or DAO. 'Concealability' is factor of how you choose to carry the gun, but don't dismiss the larger guns. I only weigh 165 or so and I can put a full sized auto in the small of my back, and you generally won't see it even if I'm wearing a t-shirt.

That first decision will narrow it down for you. I do NOT recommend carrying a concealed pistol cocked and locked. As a duty pistol, yes, concealed, no.

X2 The brand don't matter that much.It is all in what you are wanting to use it for.H K,Kimber .It don't get much better untill you get to the Les Bauer's or wilson's or Ed Browns.Anything in that range is automatically better quality according to them.JMHO
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM
bigcountry

I collect 1911's but I just got a glock 45 and I just love it. I have the tactical light on it.

Quick Reply: A good 45 ACP????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.