Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do I want a bolt-action or semi-automatic .22?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Spike

Default Do I want a bolt-action or semi-automatic .22?

In a .22 is a bolt action versus semi-automatic an issue accuracy or preference? I read that bolt actions are inherently more accurate, but have no idea about the semi-auto in a .22. Also, I picked up a Savage .22 today and then a Ruger 10-22. Both were wood, but the Savage was heavier, noticeably heavier. The Savage had a scope, but I didn't think it would make that much difference. Was hoping for comments on if bolt-action versus semi-auto matters at that caliber. The salesman said it was like some people like stick versus automatic, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Thank you.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do I want a bolt-action or semi-automatic .22?

Johnny - Is it going to be used for hunting? Are semi auto rifles legal for hunting in your state? If so, there is nothing wrong with a Ruger 10-22. I had one that could shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yds right out of the box with the right ammo. And you can alter them as far as your imagination and wallet will take you. Barrels, stocks, triggers, etc.
Most bolt action 22 LRs I've owned also shot well. The key is finding out which ammo it prefers. I have been fortunate that most of my 22s seem to like the cheaper ammo. The only one that didn't was my Rem 541. That one preferred the high end match ammo.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 PM

I have owned a Ruger 10/22 for 40 years....I also likewise have a Remington semi-auto .30-06 and a Remington 1100 semi-auto12 guage shotgun. Keep consistent with what you use....I started with pumps, bolt action and levers and found if I mixed actions.....I lost valuable time eithertrying to pump the lever gun and/or with a pump not remembering to pump when I also owned a semi-auto deer rifle. I bought that Ruger 10/22 when I was a teenager and it has brought me nothing but pleasure.One note: if you get one, use premium shells as the cheap waxy ones will clog. Make a good choice, it may last you for a lifetime.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I like in a .22 is the ability to shoot shorts. You can get CB shorts and they sound quieter than a pellet gun but with a lot more power.
the problem with auto's is they cant shoot shorts. I only know of one auto that does and thats the Remington speed master.
I would get something that shoots shorts whether its a bolt or pump or auto that does.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

What I like in a .22 is the ability to shoot shorts. You can get CB shorts and they sound quieter than a pellet gun but with a lot more power.
the problem with auto's is they cant shoot shorts. I only know of one auto that does and thats the Remington speed master.
I would get something that shoots shorts whether its a bolt or pump or auto that does.
What are "CB shorts"?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Alan3006

I have owned a Ruger 10/22 for 40 years....I also likewise have a Remington semi-auto .30-06 and a Remington 1100 semi-auto12 guage shotgun. Keep consistent with what you use....I started with pumps, bolt action and levers and found if I mixed actions.....I lost valuable time eithertrying to pump the lever gun and/or with a pump not remembering to pump when I also owned a semi-auto deer rifle. I bought that Ruger 10/22 when I was a teenager and it has brought me nothing but pleasure.One note: if you get one, use premium shells as the cheap waxy ones will clog. Make a good choice, it may last you for a lifetime.
Dumb question. Is the Ruger 10/22 a semi-auto? I don't mean this to sound bad, but are semi-auto rifles over 40 years old. Sorry. I just don't know anything about weapon history. When you say clog, clog what? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Ruger 10/22 is a semi-auto....I don't know when the 1st semi-auto came out but it was more than 50 years ago. The shells feed from the 10 shot clip into the barrel and the wax from some cheap shells piles up here and then when the shot is fired, the empty may eject (or not) but the next shell will not go in all the way due to the wax buildup.
CB shorts are also called BB caps and are shorter than .22 shorts. I used them years ago when I had a .22 Cooey bolt action repeater.They, in my opinion, are used only when one is concerned with the shot noise. I used them in the country from my bathroom window to plink starlings....I didn't want the neihbours to hassle me....they never did.
The Ruger 10/22 only shoots .22 long rifle shells. When I bought the Ruger 10/22 I never considered buying another .22 as it met all my needs. I did put on a 3X-7X scope and it is deadly on small game & target plinking...Al

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnyHunts

What are "CB shorts"?
copied and pasted from another site.

.22 CB Cap (Conical Ball Cap) is a variety of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition which has a very small propellant charge (usually no gunpowder, just the primer), resulting in a low muzzle velocity of between 350 and 700 ft/s (110 to 210 m/s).[2] This is similar to the muzzle velocity produced by a low to mid-power .22 pellet gun, however it should be noted that the bullet from a .22 CB cartridge is significantly heavier than a typical airgun pellet and therefore carries more energy. Due to their low power, CB rounds can be trapped by most pellet gun traps. In longer rifle barrels the CB has a seemingly non-existent, very quiet report due to the lack of residual pressure at the muzzle (see Internal ballistics).
The original .22 CB cartridge has the same case as the .22 BB, but there are now low-power .22 rounds sold as .22 CB Short and .22 CB Long which come in the more common .22 rimfire cartridge cases. The longer cases will allow the rounds to be fired in magazine fed firearms, in which the tiny CB Cap cases would jam. So while having the same length, the modern .22 CB Short and the .22 Short are two different cartridges. The CB has a reduced powder load and is kept (as mentioned above) between 350 and 700 ft/s, while the Short with an increased powder amount launches the same 29gr bullet around and above 1000 ft/s.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Not sure when the first semi-auto rifle was made but in 1918 our troops where using the then new browning BAR in combat. Browning had a working model in 1917 so they have been around for a while.